Sunday, 10 May 2009

The bog that is plot 11

When it looked like the rain was easing off, D went over to his plot to tie the broad beans to canes, as they grow they get quite big and heavy, therefore need support, plus this stops them from rocking in the breeze and getting damaged. I decided to join D about 30 minutes later, passing these beautiful bluebells on the way.
When I entered Ds plot, I felt like a sinking ship. I am not kidding you, I am about 5 foot 2 and I was sinking into the boggy ground. Look at my foot below.
D had to hold both my hands to pull my feet out of this muddy bog, sucking me in like quick sand. I am surprised I came out in one go. It could have easily been one of those scenes your little feet come out, but your socks and wellies are still stuck in the mud.
It's times like this when I think, why are we still working on Plot 11. It's too boggy, will anything grow here.

Even the rhubarb is looking sorry for itself.
I am also concerned about some of the potatoes, they will probably rot with all the standing water. We will just have to wait and see.


  1. Are there any veggies that like such a wet environment?

  2. The peas did well last year, but because of crop rotation I cannot plant them in the same place again, so I am looking for ideas. I guess it has to be veg that grows above the ground too, maybe more cabbages.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You