Tuesday, 12 May 2009

Light Pink Rhubarb sorbet

I took over the pumpkin and courgette seeds that have successfully germinated on the window sill at home to the plots greenhouse. I think it is safe from those mice now, but the slugs might be the next to attack them, so cautiously I surrounded them with some crushed egg shells.

Everything at the plot is starting to look sprightly now, especially the herbs, green and fragrant, the peas clinging onto the string, and the broad beans starting to stand upright of their own will. Hopefully, there won't be too much in the way of strong winds while we are away, or any unwelcome visitors at the plot! As always we have asked our trusty neighbour to cast an eye over the plot now and again, as well as water the plants in the greenhouse, he as always has kindly agreed. He is so good to us.

Like any passionate grower of fruit or veg, I don't really want to leave my plot or any of my seedlings and plants, but my long overdue honeymoon in Paris beckons.
Before I fly out to Paris, I thought I would share with you a seasonal recipe: Rhubarb sorbet. Good for a day like today, when the sunshine had finally decided to join us in Scotland. These cherry blossoms growing at our local park contrast with the colour of the rhubarb sorbet so well.

Sorbet is ridiculously easy to make. Here it is for those of you wondering what else to do with all that rhubarb that is suddenly appearing on the market shelves, at farmers markets or even in your veg box. This sorbet is light, pink and very, very sharp not one for the faint hearted.
Rhubarb sorbet
Ingredients
600g Rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 - 2 lemons
450g sugar
Method
Dissolve sugar in 600ml water, then bring to the boil. Boil for a couple of minutes, then turn off and allow to cool. Put rhubarb pieces into a saucepan with the orange juice. Simmer on low heat until the rhubarb is tender. Leave to cool.

When both the rhubarb and sugar syrup are cool, pour into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste and then pour the mixture into a plastic container with a lid and freeze. After about an hour and half, remove from the freezer and put the iced rhubarb into the food processor and blend. Put the icy mixture back into the freezer and repeat the process one more time. Transfer to the fridge 20 minutes before yo wish to serve the rhubarb sorbet.

11 comments:

  1. This looks lovely - i like my rhubarb on the sharp side. I'll be giving it a go when i pick my next batch of rhubarb as it looks nice and easy to do.

    Enjoy Paris - hope you have a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb custard bars? Pah! Sorbet is the future!
    Thanks Mangcheeks, will definitely give this one a whirl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mango - have a fab time in Paris! I hope you return to plentiful lemon verbena leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sorbet is gorgeous! Have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU TO YOU ALL for wishing me a good trip to Paris.

    Goodshoeday
    I hope you enjoy the sorbet when you make it.

    thedroolingvegetable
    Don't give up on the custard bars!

    I hope the little drooling vegetables like the sorbet, might be a bit sharp!


    fran39
    Thanks. I paid a quick visit to the plot, but neglected to peer over the verbena. Hopefully it is flourishing as I write.

    Michele
    Thank you so much. The next sorbet on the list is zingy lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear from you on my site...always :) That is the palest pink rhubarb I've seen, I wonder if it is any different in taste than the one we get here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MangoPowerGirl, its a pleasure to have you over.
    I agree the rhubarb is so pale, its because it is forced rhubarb. I placed a bucket over it so it would grow earlier than the rhubarb you find at farmers markets, and the taste is completely different, none of that sharp twang you get with freely grown rhubarb. Check out my Greek yogurt and rhubarb entry in April, even more pinkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gotten rhubarb every week in my veg box and my box is coming tomorrow and I still have last weeks still in the fridge. This is so welcome after weeks of rhubarb crumble - and because its warming up quite nicely in London today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey gastroanthropologist,

    This rhubarb sorbet has been attracting a lot of attention, it is truly delicious and so good for a warm days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone who posts a rhubarb sorbet recipe has my attention. I'm following this blog! Thanks for the recipe. ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Dawn aka Head Gardener.
    It is lovely to make your acquaintance and I am so pleased to learn that you are liking the Rhubarb Sorbet recipe - it really was delightful.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You