Friday, 31 July 2015

Five on Friday

I've only recently discovered Five on Friday hosted by Love Made My Home, but my timing is terrible as this is the last one for a little while as there will be a Summer break.  I am pleased to read that it will continue in September again, but I thought it was better to start now than not at all.  So here are five things in my home that has brought a smile to my face this week
The first ones are ornamental fruit caricatures representing pineapple, orange, raspberry, apple (I think) and strawberries. I've recently rediscovered them tucked away in a shoebox wrapped up from our house move last year.  I picked them up from a charity shop in Scotland a few years back.  I sometimes use them as cake toppers.  I had completely forgotten about them.  
Two, when I moved from our rented accommodation to our new own home just over a year ago, I was sad to be leaving behind my thriving rhubarb plant (which I did actually end up digging out and putting it into our new home garden), herb patch and edible flower patch. Flowers like violets, violas and primroses, but its the violas (heartsease) that I missed the most as they were purple and white and garnished cakes and sweet things beautifully.  I have finally a new lot, in golden and autumnal colours growing in pots, but no purple violas yet. They will come. 
Three, a tasty breakfast treat.  I've been thoroughly enjoying these home-made Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Flapjack Cake slab slices.  I will share the recipe next week, but the nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon are really fragrant and send you off in a happy daze. Its sets me up in a good smiley mood.  
Four, I had recently made some Berbere - an Ethiopian Spice Blend.  I have been making the most of it, by cooking up some Ethiopian and Eritrean inspired meals at home, including one with spaghetti.  The spice blend without sounding silly is quite spicy.  I love it. 
And five, a herb pot in the shape of a elephant from a Fair trade shop, but one I have not used much as I can't seem to find herb pots that fit into it snuggly, so it has been given a new lease of life recently as a scented candle holder instead.  Please do pop on over to Five on Friday hosted by Love Made My Home to see what other blogger have shared.

22 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm pleased to meet you. I am visiting you from Amy's Five on Friday. I haven't posted yet today but hope to do so later. I'm pleased to see your blog as I am a fellow veggie. I see you have a recipe for Persian Stew which sounds delicious. I shall be following you to see what else takes my fancy! Hungrily yours, Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet a fellow veggie and one that blogs too. I will def. be over if I haven't already, meeting lots of new bloggers this week and its been good.

      Delete
  2. hello, so glad you joined Five on Friday. I am fairly new myself. I love your little fruit figures. Have never seen any like them so I wish I could find some in a store around here. I'll be looking for you in September when Amy returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to make your acquaintance Latane, what a lovely name. I hope you find some of these figures, I found them in a charity/thrift shop. Look forward to coming by your blog too.

      Delete
  3. A very impressive five on Friday, I love the elephant herb pot such a delight, seeds might be a way forward. I would be really interested to know what is in your Ethiopian spice blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mamsmercantile. I did think seeds, but as its pottery I didn't want to damage it in the long term. The recipe for the Ethiopian spice blend, I wrote it down but can't seem to locate it, its tucked no doubt in a cookery book. Once I find it, will update this or blog about it when I make another recipe. Promise.

      Delete
  4. Love that elephant and the cute little fruit people. I too had things unopened from a previous move.. eventually opened the box and now can't remember where I put the stuff from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, I hope you find the stuff, i know what that is like.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for finding me and joining in! All good things, I love the little fruity people, especially the pineapple! I love pineapples as you will discover as you read my blog! Remember there will be no fiving in August, but back in September! Hope that you have a great weekend and a great August too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Amy I am so pleased too, just wish I knew before. I found about Five on Friday from another fellow blogger and thank her. I saw your pineapple brooch kit, look forward to seeing the finished product soon. See you in September

      Delete
  6. Those flapjacks look really yummy! I tried to make some ginger pear flapjacks last week and they were a total fail. I'll have to try again using a different recipe. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bronwyn, what a gorgeous Welsh name - I haven't met any Bronwyn's (or Gwyneths) and I was born and bred in Wales. I find some flap jack recipes work brilliantly, other are fail, but I do like trying new recipes and delighted when they turn out delicious as this one had.

      Delete
  7. A sweet list. I love those little cake toppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. I have featured the fruity figures before but can't find the post where I did.

      Delete
  8. It's great to meet you via Five on Friday. I loved all the things you shared. But, I'm looking forward to the receipe for the flapjack cake slices. They look so yummy. Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Lilly's Mom and thank you so much for coming by, appreciate it. The recipe will be shared next week, promise.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the Five! I enjoyed your post. I can't eat spicy food, which is a shame considering I live in the desert of Arizona! :-) Have a great August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. Its okay, I know lots of people who can't eat spice, but I hope my other recipes will be of interest to you. Have a lovely August too.

      Delete
  10. Aloha! I recently just found the Five Friday link up too. I'll be seeing your posts though in September hopefully! I love the thought of five things. Any five things. And five favorite things is an amazing place to start! Your herb pot bowl in the shape of an elephant - so cute! And I've been going through some of the pictures on your blog, oh my goodness I am drooling! So much yummy goodness here! I am so glad that your favorite rhubarb plant made the move! Yay to that. It was so nice meeting you. Is Shaheen your name or your handle? Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Karisma, thank you so much for coming by. I have ot admit I wasn't quite sure what kind of five things to feature, I have a better idea for September now as I've enjoyed reading everyone elses posts. I am pleased that my rhubarb plant came with me, but its first year in the ground here has not rewarded me with any, hoping next year will be better. Shaheen is my real name, I did once have a pseudonym but not anymore. Thanks so much about the nice words about the recipe, I do hope you will come back again.

      Delete
  11. Hi Shaheen, I've hopped over via Amy's Five On Friday. Lovely Five - it's good to meet you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Tiggywinkle - Lovely to make your acquaintance too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You