Monday, 27 July 2015

Tamale for Breakfast with Eggs Over Easy

I make Mexican Style Tamale Pies every other month and it is perhaps my favourite weekend brunch or morning breakfast.  I often describe it as a Mexican Shepherds Pie, the bottom is made from soy mince, borlotti or pinto beans and mixed peppers and spices, and in place of the mashed potato, we have polenta.  It is utterly delicious and comforting.
I usually eat this Polenta Pie on its own with sometimes a dollop of Sriracha sauce, but then there are weekends when I want a little bit extra on my plate, I will serve it with a fried free range egg - done over easy, where the rich yolk serves as the sauce.  By the way the above breakfast plate belongs to D, I can only eat one Tamale - not D he has a much bigger appetite than me.
I am sharing these Tamale Pies with Dom over at Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent: Breakfast  Challenge: How Do you Like Your Eggs in The Morning.


  1. oh yes! You see for me this is the ultimate breakfast... hearty and spicy! I adore polenta and it's nice to see it used like this plus those patties look wonderful...You're on fire! Thanks so much again for the brilliant links to Simply Eggcellent

  2. Oh thank you so much Dom, You have made my dayI am so so pleased you like this. Quite pleased to learn that you like polenta, many people dislike it.

  3. I've never heard of tamale pies before!
    I'm used to making the traditional version; my favorites are cheese w/ jalapeño, pineapple, and strawberry with chocolate chips. :9

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    1. Hi Adi,
      I've been making them for year, I think because the dried corn husks are hard to locate in the UK, unless your in diverse part of London, then this is the alternative we have been shown. I am intrigued by your strawberry with chocolate chips version, you must share the recipe. Always lovely to hear from you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You