Thursday, 9 July 2015

Berbere Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas

I have thoroughly been enjoying my home-made spice blend of Berbere and wanted to make another dish incorporating its warmth and heat, so decided to make a variation of Ethiopian Spicy Lentil Misir W'et (Stew). However to make more of a meal of it, I decided to bulk it up with some sweet potato chunks and chickpeas.

As it was a stew like served it with some plain white Basmati rice, but some Injera would have been more appropriate. 
I actually made this dish at the weekend, when the skies roared with thunder and then burst bucket loads of water.  The trees, plants and weeds were all thankful and so were we as it gave a little break  from the stifling heat.
D is not overly keen on red lentils.  He doesn't mind it when I make Red Lentil and Cauliflower Cobbler or Spiced Root Vegetable stew.   And although he ate all of this lentil dish, he admitted to that that it did very little for him, but I was very happy with it.  
I followed a recipe for Spicy Lentil Misir W'et (Stew) that came from Ethiopian cook, Alemtshaye Yigezu.  For the recipe, follow this link. The only thing I did in addition was add both sweet potatoes and chickpeas to the dish, nothing more.  I am sharing this with Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Camilla and Helen; and My Legumes Love Affair #85 hosted by Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey and Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and The Well Seasoned Cook.  

11 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I'm always looking for new chickpea recipes...I love them so...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. Chickpeas are my fave too.

      Delete
  2. Looks great. I'd like to try that with whole green mung, too. Thanks for sharing this 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarojini - it would be a different dish with the whole mung bean, which I like now and again, but don't cook with that much.

      Delete
  3. I could eat red lentils every night - this sounds great - though I suspect it might be too spicy for me but that is the beauty of home made spice mixes that I could adjust it to my level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a little bit spicy for you Johanna, but you could tone it down for sure.

      Delete
  4. We love chickpeas too, this looks tasty.thank you for linking it to #MLLA85

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a delicious vegetarian meal. Thank you for entering it into #CreditCrunchMunch;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camilla, moreso if you love a bit of spice!

      Delete
  6. I've been making quite a few Ethiopian dishes lately and this sounds wonderful. I make my own berbere as well. Thanks so much for sharing with MLLA. I will be hosting the July roundup on my blog on behalf of Jagruti. Coming soon.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You