Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Strawberry Mess

I had a go at making some vegan meringues a few weeks back, not with an expensive vegan egg substitute but with the inexpensive ingredient of chickpea brine and by gosh they were successful on my first attempt.  The only thing, I didn't get a photograph of the perfectly formed ones for a number of reasons.  I was so darn excited and impressed that I wanted D to try them immediately and share them the following day with some friends who also happen to be vegan, as I so wanted to amaze them as much as I was, but also get their verdict and truthfully I made them late in the afternoon when they came out of the oven it was dark. It was only later that I realised that I had not taken a photograph of my first ever perfectly shaped vegan meringues.  

The only vegan meringues I had left were the ones that didn't hold well, but on reflection they were still fine looking more like vegan macarons than pancakes and had I had thought of it, I would have whipped up some coconut cream or vegan cream cheese for the sweet filling, but I did not.  Instead I decided to crumble them for what I have called Vegan Meringue Strawberry Mess hidden beneath the vegan meringues, are fresh strawberries and beneath them is Strawberry Chia Jam.
I learned about aquafaba that is chickpea brine meringues a few months back from various vegan food bloggers, who to credit first would be unfair, but I have to admit, I was totally amazed at how tinned chickpea liquid can mimic egg whites.  If your curious to learn more about Aquafaba, then here is a link to dish to Vegan Meringues - Hits and Misses.  Worth exploring regardless. 
I made my first batch and gave D a plate full, not telling them they were vegan and moreso not telling him that they were made from chickpea water.  He gobbled them all up quite effortlessly, and was super impressed when he learned that they were vegan.  I had some too, well more than a couple and oh my how delightful - how they melted in my mouth like the real thing.  I know some bloggers reported that they could taste the beany aftertaste from the chickpeas, but I have to admit I could not detect this, so I was rather pleased. They do not have a good shelf life though and perhaps are best eaten within a couple of days. 

I have to admit the only thing about making these was the time it took to whisk to a whippy texture. It felt like it took forever to whisk with my hand held whisker, but it was getting there surely, thickening slowly with every whipping whisk.  I am hoping to make these again, and I promise to share them in all their shimmering glitzy glory next time.  Thank you so much to the vegan community, though I am not a vegan, I do appreciate and adore many vegan recipes and this is such a s clever one to have in your repertoire.  My lovely vegan friends are in for a real treat.  Let the aquafaba home experiments commence.  I am sharing this with Lauren and Danielle for Fabulous Foodies Fridays #60.  

18 comments:

  1. I've seen aquafaba meringues online, but I couldn't decide whether they would be worth the effort. I'm glad to hear yours were a success, I think I'll give them a try too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I recommend it - esp. as its affordable, it totally is worth it, really.

      Delete
  2. I ate our first garden-fresh strawberries for breakfast this morning. Your "mess" looks amazing! And I've never heard of this chickpea brine-meringues before! I will have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah homegrown strawberries, you can't beat them. Mine are all done now, what is left, is now for the birds. Yes chickpea brine meringues are the rage and you will surely be hearing more about them in months to come.

      Delete
  3. That is a great recommendation that they went before you had a photo - glad they worked for you - I was amazed when I tried them - there was a slightly beany taste when fresh but it went overnight. I have tried aquafaba a couple of other times and am looking forward to experimenting more - will look forward to hearing how you go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Johanna. i was gutted though that the picture was not taken, esp. as they were really fantastic. Hope to experiment more. And share more.

      Delete
  4. I cooked chickpeas the other day and have saved the water, so I hope it works as well as canned water. Yours look fab! This summer will be my aquafaba experimentation time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let the aquafaba experimentation begin!

      Delete
  5. I read about this on Jacqueline's blog last week, who would have thought that the chickpea water I have been throwing away could have been turned into such healthy delights. I've yet to try it but I intend to make up for lost time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get round to making them soon Sue.

      Delete
  6. I've been hearing about this chickpea water substitute, I think I will try it next time I make hummus instead of just throwing it away! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must. I make hummus from tinned chickpeas a lot, so like you have the liquid to hand quite regular. Look forward to seeing yours in the near future.

      Delete
  7. I am leaving this comment here, on your most recent post, to be sure you read it, even though it concerns another recipe. I just made your beetroot croquettes for dinner. Wowzers! They were SO delicious! Thank you! My entire family happily gobbled them up and my oldest son asked if I would make them for breakfast in the morning! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy and Rob, I always read all my comments as I have to verify them before I release them (because of Spam), but understand why you have left it on my most recent post. Wow, I am ever so so pleased. Thank you so much for letting me know and having them for brunch too, most excellent. You will be pleased to know that I have begun growing again - not an allotment, but in my back garden in my new home and hope to showcase my new small harvest in the next few weeks, other than raspberries and strawberries, I've just harvested 4 heads of broccoli. Happy eating and growing and thank you so much for your support.

      Delete
  8. I read the article about aquafaba (how did chickpea brine get such a lovely name?) in The Vegan magazine and was completely blown away. Vegan merangue??!! I'm so pleased it worked for you, looking forward to pictures of the next batch!
    Sue X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, so lovely to make your acquaintance.

      Delete
  9. Yum! What a lovely and fresh dessert!! Thanks so much for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucy. I hope to join in again, now that I have discovered you.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You