Monday, 27 July 2015

How Green is my Valley?

For all my gardening and vegetable growing readers, this blog post is especially for you.  I know you think that I have abandoned the roots of this blog as I no longer have an allotment plot, but I would like to assure you that I am once again growing again, this time in my garden, and more importantly my  enthusiasm for gardening is returning. albeit very slowly.  I thought I would share an up-date of how green my garden is right now.
The variety of tomatoes in the green house seem to be in the most part doing well.  We are still a couple of weeks before we get to harvest the first red or yellow ones. 
The apple tree (not shown) has a handful of apples, many have been knocked down by the strong winds and the pear tree (also not shown) has produced nothing, so we will be digging that out later in the year.  But the plum tree (above) is producing well, the plums are hard like pebbles.
This is my blueberry bush, its doing well.
I think in the next couple of days I will be harvesting my first couple of courgettes.  I am also growing a yellow variety too, but they are only just beginning to catch up. 
Here are my climbing beans, compared to my two neighbours (both two doors down) mine are halfway up the canes, whereas theirs are right at the top and covering the canes and well flowered.  I know why ours are so behind, because we put them into the ground ate.  Still hoping they will catch up and rewards us with some.  On these canes are also Borlotti beans, my first time growing them, but to be truthful I am not optimistic.
Look closely from the front is black kale aka Tuscan Kale or Dinosaur Kale, behind it are three types of broccoli, the bushy variety that I harvested last week and am seeing side shoots growing, as well as white and purple sprouting broccoli. There is also nasturtium, that has been doing well in the ground last year.  Last year, I tried to grow them in hanging pots, and they failed.  
Here we have Brussels Sprouts,they seem to be doing well.  I know I need to put the netting over it to deter the white cabbage butterfly, but the netting is so blue, that I haven't got round to it concerned that it will make the garden look ugly, but what do I want, nice looking garden or healthy brassicas - both really, but the latter mostly.  
If you look close and past the weeds, you will see some spring onions here.  
And finally Rainbow Chard,  There is more grorwing in pots, but I hope this has given you some insight into my garden vegetable growing progress.
For Harvest Monday, well other than the raspberry canes still producing, this fat spring onion aka scallion is the only vegetable I harvested at the weekend; and oh I mustn't forget some edible flowers that have been serving more as garnish than anything else.  I am sharing this blog post with Daphne's Dandelions for Harvest Mondays.  

28 comments:

  1. Your garden looks amazing. The kale looks great and your Brussels sprouts are way ahead of mine. And that spring onion is huge. I have lots of trouble growing any kind of onion, the hundreds of seedlings I start always seem to die at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phuong, your kind.The spring onion is huge, I think I shouldve harvested it a week back which reminds me , better harvest the others.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you gardening again. It is a lot of work but worth it.Your garden looks very healthy and you should be getting big harvests soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. It is a lot of work, I've forgotten over the years and out of the habit too, but hope to get back into it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent!! I so much loved seeing your garden. All those beautiful greens, amazing really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, always lovely to hear from you x Yes, I am getting back into it, but very very slowly - a lot of the veg in the garden were picked up from a garden nursery, not from seedling - next year, I hope to get hold of some of those gardening mags and order and grow things that I really want to eat, not brassicas - way too many this time = that is if they grow and I hope the do, whether I like to eat them or not.

      Delete
  4. Your greens look lovely. I love that Tuscan kale too. Hopefully your beans will catchup and be blooming soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, the kale does look good. I better start harvesting and eating them. Fingers crossed about the beans!

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about the row covers. I really hate the look. I wish I didn't have to use them as the garden would be so much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne. I know there is a use for them, I just wish mine was green, not the loud blue.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are still gardening Shaheen! You don't often blog about this aspect of your life. And green or otherwise, you have a lot of nice crops coming on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd be glad Mark. I do miss out interactions re growing, but I know why, I hope to get back into the swing of things, i've just got out of the habit and its taking me a while to fall back in love with it, I will get there. As always thanks for you encouragement x

      Delete
  7. Your garden is looking amazing & productive - quite the contrast from last year! I was slow to get started with the spring crops this year as well & my harvests have suffered - but a small harvest is better than none at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. It is a big contrast from last year, but i have to say the beans were doing fantastically, I was also growing broad beans but not this year :( And true a small harvest is better than none at all

      Delete
  8. Green is such a beautiful colour, right?! Oh my gosh, my spring onions had so many weeds around them that they didn't survive ... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous colour, I am actually looking for the right green fabric to make a dress :0 ) I guess I have been lucky with the spring onions, my problem - slow at harvesting them

      Delete
  9. Your garden is looking lovely! I have not harvested anything worth posting this week as everything is in transition. I will bet that you will have lots of veg coming out of your garden in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey. I look forward to seeing your harvest, i hope to pick the first of my kale, courgettes and Swiss chard next week.

      Delete
  10. Your garden looks great, the brassicas look particularly great. I had to give up my desire for a pretty garden long ago, there's just too much competition for the good stuff! I've got white fabric and netting all over the place, not to mention flashy things and ugly clanking things. It really looks crazy at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. I agree the brassicas do look good, hope they beat and survive the white cabbage butterfly. I may have to give up my desire of a pretty garden soon too , I like the idea of flashy dangly things, deter those birds that are stealing all my red berries :)

      Delete
  11. Your garden's looking lovely, I'm glad to hear you're getting back into it :) Everything is really slow to grow in my garden, combination of planting late and poor soil, I keep popping outside and willing it grow faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks Susie, I've had a nosy of your small yet sweet little harvest - your only just starting off in your new home, so don't be hard on yourself.

      Delete
    2. Oh Thanks Susie, I've had a nosy of your small yet sweet little harvest - your only just starting off in your new home, so don't be hard on yourself.

      Delete
  12. what an impressive array of green - perhaps there is a business idea in making netting for gardens that is pretty - I am thinking ones with flowers or rainbows :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I was pleased, hence yay do a gardening post its been a long while. Your right an idea for making attractive netting, but not one that i will be starting.
      :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Johanna, I was pleased, hence yay do a gardening post its been a long while. Your right an idea for making attractive netting, but not one that i will be starting.
      :)

      Delete
  13. Wow, it looks really good shaheen, I'd echo what everyone else has said, great to see your garden. I was tempted to order some brassica plugs this year as my first several attempts all got eaten off. But my final attempt at home has produced some small seedlings so I'll jutst have a rather long wait before harvest (spring probably!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou. Hope to share more tomorrow including my first courgette, yay. Good luck with your homegrown brassicas's hope they do well, even if you get them in spring.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You