Sunday, 5 July 2015

Generosity of Others in My Kitchen

My mother-in-law often knows that I am a food blogger and experimental cook.  And over the years she has given me a number of lovely kitchen related things and shamefully I haven't blogged about any of them much.  She also picks up vegetarian cookbooks from charity shops for me too, but I don't want to write about the cookbooks, but a couple of kitchenelia things bestowed upon me such as these handmade Oriental style spoon shaped 'bowls'.  
They are engraved Jersey Pottery C1.  I was not too sure exactly what they were for -  perhaps for serving an appetiser, whatever I liked them and can see there versatility even for nibbles, but then after a little research on the Internet I've just found out that they are Avocado dishes. 
Then we have these beautifully handcrafted ceramic eggs cups, I love them.  So pretty. 
And then we have this pot stand with its pepper print.  It has appeared in the background to many recipes, but I don't think I've shared it in its own right.   Its always there when I bring out something hot from the oven. 
My nephew has just come back from his holiday in Mexico.   I am really envious as it is somewhere I would love to go someday.  He came back with some foodie treats for his favourite Aunty.  Margarita Cake and Tequila Cake (they are the smallest cakes ever), but the tins are a keepsake.  He also got me some Roasted Habenero Pepper Sauce.  And below, some amazing sweets designed to look like Mexican cuisine to go into a Pinata, as well as a Mexican Sombrero magnet (centre) and a Mexican angel (right) for our Christmas tree.  So cute and thoughtful. 



I have been fortunate in the last few months to have sampled Ethiopian-Eritrean Marble Cake, Japanese Cotton Cheesecake, Polish and Czech sweet pastries, Norwegian Sandbakkels, Sri Lankan Coconut Roti, Pakistani Purple Cabbage Sabzi - much of it thanks to the diversity of colleagues in my workplace. 
Most recently a beautiful colleague at work from Czech background bestowed upon me a jar of home-made Daisy 'Honey', yes you read right Daisy Honey.  She advised it was good for colds and to stir a teaspoon or two into hot water when feeling poorly.   As you can see from the label, she made it with her son Pavel who is 8 years old. Do you want the recipe? Let me know and I will see if she will share it with me.  I remember her saying its an easy recipe, the hard part is picking the daisies.
Another colleague at work who is a fantastic cook from Vietnamese background tried her hand at making some Cranberry, Pistachio and Almond Biscotti.  It was her first time making biscotti and she should be pleased.  I enjoyed them and so did D dunking them into his coffee, but my mother also took a couple of me too .  I am waiting on my Zimbabwean colleague for an authentic Zimbabwean recipe.  He has promised to nag his mother and get a vegetarian or vegan Zimbabwean recipe for me, but I am still waiting.  I am also waiting patiently for my Ethiopian colleague to show me how to make authentic Injera - so watch this blog space
A lovely Welsh colleague who is talented in many ways, but its her skills in the kitchen that got me interested when she encouraged me and a few other people from the office to have a go at piping cupcakes with butter cream frosting.  Piping cakes is not my forte but I was well pleased with the result above, but I need more practise as its not easy as it looks.  
A bonus of this was getting to take home some Butter cream Cupcakes, nom nom.  Have you been bestowed with edible goodies from friends, family or work colleagues lately. 

I have also been treated by my lovely husband to a couple of new cookbooks that have come into my kitchen (then my bedside) including the colourful V is for Vegan by Kerstin Rodgers aka Ms Marmite Lover (not pictured).  The hard part was deciding what to make first, but I think I have settled on the Avocado Oreo Cheesecake - its looks awesome .  
And finally do your remember this lapis blue coloured Italian hand-made ceramic dish that I shared last month.  It was confirmed by fellow bloggers as an Olive bowl, but I will also use it for homemade truffles and fruity bliss balls.   I am sharing this post with the lovely Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial who hosts In My Kitchen (IMK) series.

35 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen, lovely to peek inside your world too :) so many lovely gifts, you are very lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by Elaine.

      Delete
  2. What a nice post Shaheen. You have been blessed with thoughtful family members and talented co-workers too. And that nephew of yours is a keeper! What a thoughtful young man.I like all of your pottery but I think my favorite is the last piece - the Lapis Olive bowl. It reminds me of pottery pieces from South America/Mexico.It might even be fun to fill it with water and float some very small blooms in it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lexa. I love my nephew to bits, yes he does spoil me x Yes the Lapis Olive bowl is gorgeous. Lovely to hear from you as always

      Delete
  3. What lovely things, your Mother in Law has a great eye for pretty things, and I love all the Mexican things, I'd love to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie.You and me both - hopefully one day.

      Delete
  4. This was a very lovely post. I love all sorts of quirky kitchen stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh lucky you to have such varied workmates! I love all your different bowls and containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly do, many are also volunteers.

      Delete
  6. What a lot of generous friends and family you have! Sadly, I have not been given any edibles lately, but in my kitchen there is a small plate moulded and painted like a cabbage on display that we were given, and a Welsh love spoon which was a wedding present. We also have one of those nice looking brass noodle makers from India (for stuff like sev and ganthia) and a small marble pestle and mortar which were gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yogi, in my last workplace I was much of an outsider I was never invited to Christmas parties etc because of my job role then, but this time the place is a lot more chilled, but also a lot of diverse volunteers who like to show their appreciation through food. Ah I had a Welsh spoon in Glasgow, never brought it down with me. and I like the sound of your brass noodle maker, Its been on my wish list, but I need to go somewhere like B'ham to get it. The gifts you have been given all sound lovely and well used too.

      Delete
  7. What generous people you know! I enjoyed looking at your pics. Sadly I haven't been given any food for ages, but we do have a small plate like a green cabbage, a marble pestle and mortar, a Welsh love spoon and a brass noodle maker from India which were gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh lots of great stuff in your kitchen. I love those egg cups - though I don't like eggs I do love egg cups. The mexican goodies look like fun - margharita cake!!!! And your colleagues sound like an interesting bunch - the piping looks like fun - it is not my strength so I would appreciate her encouragement. And the honey looks interesting - I can't imagine I would make it but I would be curious to see the recipe if your colleague share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat eggs much either this way, but I love the egg cups. Yeah Magharita cake. My nephew said I muyst only open it when he is over, so he can have a slice - its so tiny - really one person portion, but we will share it between the 3 of us when he comes on over. Yes the colleague, Alison is super excellent with cupcake decorating, I will ask about the Daisy Honey.

      Delete
  9. Your work place sounds like a great place to be. Yah, for diversity. It must be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its okay. like any other workplace has its ups and downs, we have a lot of volunteers that makes it really interesting

      Delete
  10. How wonderful to get such fun items from your mother in law. My mother in is unpredictable, some gifts are fantastic and others go straight to charity! Your gifts from Mexico also look great. Daisy honey, never heard of it but sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen. Oh I have to say there are some things that I raise my eyebrows too, she gave us an elephant ornament a few years back, its big and were not overly keen on it, but its still in our home. But its the thought, right.

      Delete
  11. Hi Shaheen,
    Generosity is a great gift.
    Aside from the material pleasure, just the thought that people think of us when they are in these faraway lands, is a joy in itself.
    I am not very wordy, but hopefully my comment makes some sense.
    Enjoy the gifts of your the wonderful family you are a part of.
    Now, I suddenly have the urge to sing the song, "What a Wonderful Life"...
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Chandra, and homemade ones even better.
      Your comment does make sense. Bless.
      You have a beautiful day too.

      Delete
  12. You have some interesting pieces in your kitchen, but that blue olive bowl is my favourite! The little tequila cakes look interesting too, did they have a strong taste of alcohol? Salt? Lemon? Very curious! Thank you for sharing your kitchen Shaheen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ardysez. The olive bowl is pretty gorgeous, yes I agree. I haven't had the Tequila cake yet and it may be a little while before I open it to eat, but if I remember I will leave a comment here to let you know of its taste.

      Delete
  13. Ah,, an olive bowl! Beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post that brightened my day! You had me at the bowls and tins! I would love a slice of your biscotti with my coffee right now!
    Thank you for this month's kitchen views also!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this multi-cultural In My Kitchen Post, Shaheen, it makes my kitchen look dead boring. I'm intrigued by the daisy honey. I make dandelion honey every year, but had no idea daisy's would work.

    Well done with your piping, it's not something I do much of either and consequently, I'm not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette. Your kitchen is not boring at all, mine is these days, hence the reason I had to showcase the generosity of others. The daisy honey recipe i believe is similar to the Dandelion honey, which I have made once in my life (before blogging), haven't in a long wile, don't think i'd have a go at picking daisies, i'd be there for ages. I need more practice with piping,not my forte.

      Delete
  16. Hi Shaheen what lovely goodies in your kitchen this month! How sweet of your MIL, and how great is it to have a UN of work colleagues! Kishore and I both have the same type of work/ friend melting pot, it allows us to explore and try things with the best kind of guide. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Emily. Good to know you surrounded by some lovely people too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still love the gorgeous blue dish! Daisy honey looks great, I make dandelion syrup :) Such a good IMK this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its becoming a firm fave of mine too. I also make Dandelion Syrup, but don't think I'd attempt a daisy one, as I'm way too lazy to pick that many daisies for a recipe.

      Delete
  19. what gorgeous things in your kitchen shaheen. i love the avocado dishes, and those lovely Mexican goodies. what a wonderful nephew you have! and that blue olive dish could be used for many things. have never heard of daisy honey. sounds tasty. isn't it lovely when your friends and family collect foodie items for you? so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. The avocado dishes, yes they are pretty cool, but I am not too sure If i will use them for avocado. I do have a fab nephew, i love him to bits.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You