Saturday, 4 July 2015

Pea and Mint Gnocchi Bake

I often make my own gnocchi, but its been a while and by the time I get home after work I have to admit I have begun to rely on a supermarket brand for a fast evening meals.  Saying all that, this was not a work day, but for today.  

We took an impulsive drive to Porthcawl today and then Llantwit Major, a small coastal town of windy lanes, narrow streets and historic buildings.  Despite being near the beach twice, I resisted the smell of sea salt and vinegar on chip, but this meant by the time we got home we were both hungry and I needed to put something together rather quick. The part I liked about this most, was the crispy, golden cheesy topping. 
I used to make this kind a dish quite a lot in my student days, but it was on the stove top rather than in the oven and the pasta would vary.  
Have I told you that I have a small freezer?!.  I don't put very much in it due to its size, but the one thing I always seem to have are frozen peas and when I looked closer, I found another packet of frozen peas, so expect a few more pea recipes on my blog this month  (and yes I know peas are in season too - but some of us have not grown our own this year (sad face)).   I am sharing this gnocchi bake with Pasta Please, hosted by Slice of Me.  Pasta Please is co-ordinated by Jac at Tinned Tomatoes.  



Pea and Mint Gnocchi Bake
Serves 2 - 3
Ingredients
A packet of gnocchi
 140g frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of fresh mint minced
260ml double cream
80g cheddar cheese, grated
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Cook the gnocchi according to instructions (and the peas) then drain and tip into an ovenproof dish.  Pour over the double cream, season with salt and pepper and then stir in the mint.
Stir well ensuring everything is coated in the cream.  Then evenly scatter over the grated cheese.
Place in oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the cheese has begun to turn golden. 
Serve immediately with a side of salad.  

12 comments:

  1. I like your remedy for fighting the craving for potato chips :)
    Have a Great Day, Shaheen!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, it was hard - i love chips!

      Delete
  2. I don't make gnocchi often but find that a packet of it is lovely from time to time - your drive sounds really interesting and this gnocchi sounds delicious - I always have peas in the freezer too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to when I was more organised, but these days....ah mustn't grumble. Good to know that you have peas in your freezer too.

      Delete
  3. This dish seems very tasty. And I get what you are saying about making own gnocchi, I should get around to it soon, but at the moment take the supermarket version as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its certainly comforting and fills that empty hold. I hope to make some gnocchi soon, but time just flies by.

      Delete
  4. Yum! My daughter would adore this; she loves gnocchi. As for me, I'd love it too, with vegan cheeze. Your day at the seaside sounds wonderful. I recently visited Weston Super Mare with 60 8-year olds (and quite a few other teachers) but I prefer the quieter places for myself, like little Cornish coves and the beaches round Shell Island where you often see few other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would so work well with vegan cheez. Oh I have been to Weston Super Mare http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/seaside-days-weston-super-mare.html I don't think I would want to go with 60 8 years olds though (eek). I have never been to Shell Island, but its a place a lot of people I know who live in England, namely Liverpool or B'ham holiday at. But i have have had those seashell boxes from there, given to me as gifts and one I treasured for years.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen, ooh lovely peas. You know I get really frustrated at pea season, the farm we rent this house off is a pea producer for Birds Eye and you can see and hear the peas when harvesting starts every year and yet we never get to try these peas, unless i buy Birds Eye in Tesco! I think if the landlords had an ounce of friendliness to them it would be lovely to give the tenants a bag of fresh peas at harvest, but no, they are so greedy and tight and would never cross their minds to be nice to us. Sorry, rant over. You on the other hand are most generous sharing your wonderful pea recipes with us. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sally. Hope the next 12 months fly by and your new dream home is within realistic reach x I have to tell you the peas in my freezer are not Birds Eye. Yes, that is pretty mean of your landlords, not to even bestow some upon you and yours out of simple generosity. If you were near, I have plenty of strawberries to share and would have been happy to given your a punnet or two or more - way too many for us to eat.

      Delete
  6. Hello there, thanks for linking up with Pasta Please in July 2015 ! Lovely recipe! The round up is now up for you to browse through the other recipes as well! Cheers - Manjiri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manjiri. I will come on over.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You