Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Raw Strawberry Chilli Chia Jam

Like most food bloggers, I discovered the magic of chia seeds a couple of years ago.  As well as using it in Puddings, I actually also made a Raspberry Chilli Chia Jam, but never got round to blogging about it.  This time I was determined to get a picture and share it with you - the only difference is this one is made from strawberries from my garden; and the chia seeds came from Suma Wholefoods.
The Raw Strawberry Chilli Chia Jam was not only spread on a piece of toast, but also on warm home-made Lemonade Scones.  Lemonade scones contrary to its name, do not taste like lemonade at all. The fizzy lemonade seems to aerate the scones, giving them oomf and a bit of height, but nothing lemony about them at all. 
The Raw Strawberry Chilli Chia Jam is not sweet like traditional strawberry jam made with sugar and pectin, but nonetheless it was pleasant and made for an interesting change, and you know me - dousing a bit of chilli here and there, but its completely optional.  

As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network. I am also sharing this with Vegetarian Mama for Gluten Free Fridays



Raw Strawberry Chilli Chia Jam (with optional Chilli)
Ingredients
500g strawberries, washed and green tops removed
2 tablespoon sweetener (or more to taste): honey maple syrup or agave syrup 
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
3 tablespoons chia seeds
Method
Put all the ingredients, expect for the chia seeds into a blender and blitz until smooth, then pour in the chia seeds and blitz for a few seconds for it to incorporate into the strawberry mixture.
Using a spatula, scrape into a jar with a lid and store in fridge until ready to use.
Use within a week or so or share it with family or friends. 


6 comments:

  1. Something I've been meaning to make for ages, I was going to use the strawberries that were growing in the Rhubarb bed .... and then the squirrels pinched the lot overnight :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get round to making it Sue, but please use it within a week - doesn't last long, even in the fridge.

      Delete
  2. Strawberries and chiilli...Interesting! I love the idea of chia jam; seen it a few times online now. Wonder if my black currants would make a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It works, its subtle not overpowering at all - just a bit of warmth. I have no doubt it could work with blackcurrants, I've done it with raspberries and i am sure I have also seen blueberry variation too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shaheen. We love it and will definitely make it over and over.

    Marlene
    Water Main Repair Seattle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to read your comment Marlene. Thank you so much.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You