Friday, 24 July 2015

Persian Style Cauliflower Stew with Advieh

I've not heard of Advieh until quite recently.  Its a Persian  Spice Blend.  
 I don't claim this to be authentic in any way, but it introduced me to the the flavours of advieh. Although it looks like garam masala, its not spicy at all - imparting a slight sweetness, I guess from the cinnamon.  

I am looking forward to checking out some of my Middle Eastern Cookbooks for recipes that make the most of advieh,  but this dish was fine and welcomed on a day like today when the rain has not stopped, its been a continuous drizzle making you feel like a soggy sock.  Tucking into this Persian Stew made me a little radiant. 
I served it with pickled chillies and couscous instead of rice for a change. 

 
Cauliflower Stew
Serves 4
Iingredients
4 tablespoon oil
1 onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chill flakes
1 cauliflower, broken into bite size florets
1/2 teaspoon Advieh (See below)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pint Vegetable stock 
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Optional: 1 aubergines, sliced and cubed (roasted in the oven with 1 tablespoon oil, until golden and tender.  Set aside to cool)
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pot, add the onion until transluscent.  
Add the turmeric, salt and chilli flakes and cook for a couple of minutes, before stirring in the cauliflower, cook for a around 10 minutes.  Then stir in the advieh and tomato paste and vegetable stock.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium and allow to cook until the cauliflower is tender.  
When the cauliflower is cooked, stir in the chickpeas (and aubergine if using)
Simmer for a few minutes before serving, taste and adjust seasoning if necessayr. 
Adapted from a recipe by Andrea's Garden Cooking  see here


Advieh (Persian Spice Blend)Makes a small jar2 tablespoons dried rose petals1 tablespoon cum seeds, toasted1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted 2 tablespoons cinnamon1/2 tablespoon cardamonGood grating of nutmegMethodPut all the spices into a blender, and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a jar.  

4 comments:

  1. This is a spice mix I had not heard of. Sounds a bit like a Persian version of Ras al Hanout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there are two types of Advieh - one for seasoning rice dishes and the other one for stews. I know what you mean comparing it to Ras al Hanout, I also thought it was a bit like Tunisian Baharat too.

      Delete
  2. That certainly looks good and the seasoning sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You