Friday, 26 September 2014

Vegan Star Anise and Roast Plum Sorbet

Its September and it is still very warm here in Wales, the sun has been shining pretty much every single day, with barely a drizzle of rain.  The day begins overcast and grey, but by mid-day the sun is out warming us up....so ice-cream or sorbet in my case is a welcome change.

I made this Star Anise and Plum Sorbet a couple of weeks back with my home grown plums.  I remembered stumbling across a packet of star anise, stashed at the bottom or one of my spice jars.  Star anise is one of the prettiest spices I have ever set eyes on. I thought it would be a nice addition to what may have been a plain plum sorbet.
I know I should have allowed the sorbet to sit a little to soften when I took it out of the freezer, as it would have been easy to scoop out perfect ball for the photograph, but I was being impatient as it was getting dark. If you look at the last image, it shows the Plum Sorbet beginning to melt and looking more 'creamish'. But I must say, this Plum Sorbet is unlike my previous sorbets, it is not snow icy at all.  Its a lot more smoother and richer, its sharp and has a lovely twang.  The star anise is detectable, but not overpowering, but it is not shy on kissing you on the lips either.  
And finally the colour, so pretty - it reminded me of a shimmering blusher that I once used to wear in my younger days. Ahhhh soft dimpled rosy cheeks. 


I am sharing this Star Anise and Roast Plum Sorbet with BSFIC hosted by Kavey Eats, the theme is Anything Goes!
Vegan Star Anise and Roast Plum Sorbet
Ingredients
Around 1kg plums, washed, halved and stoned
100g golden caster sugar
3 - 4 whole star anise
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Place the plums, the sugar and star anise in a large casserole dish or roasting tin.  Roast for 30 minutes, stirring now and again until the plums are falling apart and turning to mush.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool, preferably overnight in the fridge.
The following day, remove the star anise and then decant the roasted fruit into a food processor, or blender (I used my Optimum 9400 Blender to guarantee smoothness, especially as I was using the skins from the plum too) and puree.
Churn the pureed plum mixture in an ice-cream maker, according to the manufacturers instructions for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Transfer to a container and store in the freezer. 

8 comments:

  1. Love it! I agree, the colour of this is really beautiful and star anise is such a pretty spice. I've never even seen plum sorbet before, but yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much littleveganbear.
      I was pleased both to be able to use home-grown plums and also my ice-cream maker, that often gets forgotten about. Its one of those ones where you have to put the bowl in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. If you got the level of Star Anise right (and I'm sure you would have done, Shaheen!) this must have been a stunner. I'm currently very "On" plums, having got so many of them the other day on my foraging trip. I'm eating a lot of Plum jam at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. I think the star anise flavouring was complimentary, not overwhelming at all. I haven't made plum jam this year, maybe next year - I am hoping next year I will be a better gardener, a better forager and back to my usual self again, things are looking a lot more positive for me right now - a change at last!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely like the blusher I remember too..... what a lovely colour! I've never used star anise in ice cream before, but I love the sound of it combined with plum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate :)
      It was my first time in an ice-cream, sorry sorbet and it was lovely.

      Delete
  4. Looks really pretty. What recipe did you follow to make for that richer smoother finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kavey. The recipe is up, the smooth finish (which includes the plum skins) is probably thanks to my Optimum 9400 Blender. I know you have one too!
      :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You