Monday, 29 September 2014

Vegan Smoky Spicy 'Pastrami' with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Puy Lentil Salad

This was dinner a few days back - Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Puy Lentils, Carrots and Baby Courgettes with homemade vegan Smoky Spicy Pastrami.  
This smoky spicy vegan 'Pastrami' is based on my friends Krys recipe that I showcased earlier this month, but this time round I decided to adapt it a little and enhance it by upping the spices.  It was a lot more succulent too, perhaps because I timed the cooking better. 
Its been a long while since I've had puy lentils. I enjoyed every mouthful and look forward to making it again.  It made for a lovely light meal, perhaps next time round I will stir it in with some Bulgar wheat and take it into work for lunch.
Nom, nom nom.

Vegan Spicy 'Pastrami' with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Puy Lentil Salad
Dry Ingredients
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (not ground pepper)
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
260g plus 2 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (from Suma Wholefoods)
20g nutritional yeast
Wet Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (I used )
100ml beetroot juice
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
350ml vegetable stock
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/200oc.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, except for the 2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten.  
Then pour in the wet ingredients.  Knead gently until all of the ingredients are well combined, then knead in the remaining vital wheat gluten.  Carefully form into a large sausage shape.  Wrap it tightly in foil like a fat Christmas cracker, then place on a lightly greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes
Allow to cool, before removing the foil.
Serve warm or cold. See this link for original bookmarked recipe and link to original post.


  1. Nice! I'd come to dinner at your house any day :) I make seitan the cheapskate way, using white bread flour; takes longer but works out incredibly cheap. You can't get the flavours in at the mixing stage though.

  2. You would be most welcome x I tried to make esi tan once with bread flour and failed, never attempted again

  3. I am glad you have posted this recipe - definitely on my to do list - and that looks like a beautiful plate of food

    1. Johanna, the recipe spices may be a bit to hot for you, so please feel free to reduce quantities by half at least.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You