Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Bookmarked Vegan Pastrami Recipe

This vegan Pastrami recipe is my second bookmarked recipe from Krys who blogs over at Dine In Not Out.  
The first recipe was for crustless vegan Quiches/chickpea cakes, my version was made with broccoli; and the second now Vegan Pastrami.  Both these recipes can be found on her first blog Two Vegan Boys, a blog dedicated to her two boys and their vegan eats and following their adventurous exploits.  Krys now blogs at Dine In Not Out where she shares her love for gardening, growing vegetables and of course cooking and baking. 

The Pastrami was good and was enjoyed over a week in sandwiches and on the side of a veggie roast meal, but I think I messed up a little with the seasoning.  I got a tad confused (must be age) and added some of the seasoning with caution.  After having made it, I tweeted Krys and she confirmed that t =teaspoon and T = Tablespoon.  This confirmed why the black pepper punch was lacking and definitely would have been most welcome.  My husband has requested that I make it again and I certainly will be, but this time with more kick!  Thank you so much for sharing this Pastrami recipe Krys. 
2 Teaspoons freshly ground blackpepper
11/2 tablespoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1/3 cup red wine
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 1/4 cup vegtable stock
Method
In a bowk, combine all the dry ingredients except for the 2 tablespoons of gluten.  Add the wet ingredients, Knead until all of the ingredients are well combines.  
Then knead the 2 tablespoons of gluten into the mix.  Form a large sausage.
Wrap tight in foil.  
Steam for 45 minutes, then bake for a further 20 minutes at 350oc .
Slice and enjoy cold in sandwiches. 
From Two Vegan Boys.

8 comments:

  1. This looks brilliant - I am a bit wary about vital wheat gluten but I do love an interesting flavoursome home made mock meat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be making this again Johanna, probably this weekend as I have time on my hands. I loved the pepper aspect of it, and would def. love more heat, its a different kind of heat from chilli.

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy! I think my other half would enjoy this too... Might have to investigate

    ReplyDelete
  3. shoot! sorry you bungled the spices a bit, but if your husband requested a remake,it still must have been pretty good. i havent made seitan for far too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things happen Amey, but it still turned out good, I am hoping to make it again this weekend,

      Delete
  4. I tried to get onto the blog, "Two Vegan Boys" but it's invite only. Can you get permission to post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find my slightly adapted version here http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/vegan-smoky-spicy-pastrami-with-roasted.html Or you could tweet @GangstaGardener

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You