Monday, 15 September 2014

Vegan Cinnamon Plum Cake

I mentioned in previous blog post that I make a vegetarian version of this Cinnamon Plum Cake.  I make it almost every year, but this year I decided to do a vegan version, especially for Vegan MoFo 2014 and it was yummy.
I don't quite know how, but there was a slight pink hue when I sliced the cake.  So somehow the natural plum juice colour infused the sponge batter, which was a nice surprising effect, along with the brown specks from the cinnamon.  D will eat vegan cake, but is not that crazy about them, but thought this one was particularly good .
Enjoy with a cuppa or vegan cream!  As this vegan Cinnamon Plum Cake is made with home-grown plums and very much in season, I am sharing this recipe with  with Anneli over at Delicieux and Lou over at Eat Your Veg for Four Seasons Food.  The theme this month is Get Fruity.   


Vegan Cinnamon Plum Cake 
Makes two 1l b loafs 
Serves 12 x 2
6 - 8 plums, halved and pitted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

425g plain flour
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
200g golden caster sugar
75g ground almond
400ml soy milk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
Method
In a large bowl, toss the plum halves in the cinnamon until well coated and set aside. 
Sift the flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and ground almonds. 
In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients, then carefully pour into the dry ingredients and combine well.  Pour batter evenly into baking tins.
Then top with the cake mixture with cinnamon doused plums, cut side down. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Cool before turning out.  

11 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely lovely! I'll have to wait for plum season to come around now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LittleVeganBear. I hope you get the opportunity to make it one day in the very near future.

      Delete
  2. Cinnamon and plum? I have to try this! I can't get enough of plum and I crave it during these last days of summer. And cinnamon is perfect for the welcoming of autumn.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cinnamon is def. perfect for the welcoming of autumn, well said.

      Delete
  3. beautiful cake - can't wait for some plums to be back in my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I think it is quite a simple cake, honest, but Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Cinnamon and plums is such a lovely combination of flavours. I love the way the batter rises round the plums like little weathered rock-pools. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, my plums have already finished! I'll have to save this one for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Maybe next year, but if your not vegan, check out the vegetarian version too.

      Delete
  6. Oh what a delightful recipe Shaheen! Thanks so much for linking it up to September's Four Seasons Food 'Getting Fruity' challenge and my sincere apologies for taking until now to get around to reading your lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You