Sunday, 21 September 2014

Vegan Apple Raisin and Chocolate Loaf

I've had a really busy busy weekend, that i have barely had a moment to myself and Monday is nearly here, so forgive me for this short post as I want to make the most of what is left of my Sunday.  
Here is a Apple Raisin and Chocolate Loaf Cake made with local eating apples.  I've been eating apples every single day this week for lunch, but wanted to put some in cake too, this was the result.  

Lovely with a cuppa chai.
One recipe that I am looking forward to making again with seasonal Welsh apples is this Apple Butter, it was absolutely delicious.  This time round I will call it Welsh Apple Butter

Vegan Apple Raisin and Chocolate Cake 
Makes 2 x 1l b loafs 
Serves 12 x 2
425g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
180g golden caster sugar
400ml soy milk

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil

2 medium apples, cored (un/peeled - its up to you) and chopped into small pieces
Handful of raisins (or other dried fruit)
Sift the flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. 
In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients, then carefully pour into the dry ingredients and combine well.  Stir in most of the chopped apples and raisins, stir well. Then pour batter evenly into baking tins.
Then top with the cake mixture with the remaining chopped apple pieces and raisins. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Cool before turning out.  


  1. Wow thanks for this- recipe looks great and really simple. Will defo try it this week with some local apples :) x

    1. Thank you. Yes it is really simple, one of the reasons I make if often. Hope you like, please let me know.

  2. Gorgeous looking cake - my children would love this. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

  3. Looks delicious - I'd have a nice slice with a cuppa - maybe even a spread of vegan margarine

    1. Thank you, a little v. margarine would be welcome.

  4. I made this lovely easy to make cake! Fabulous is the word! xxx


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You