Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Vegan Raw Carrot Halwa Fudge

I made these flame coloured soft fudgy bites a little while back.  It is based on a traditional Indian and Pakistani recipe called Gajjar Ka Halwa or Gajrilla, made with condensed milk, full fat milk and ghee, but this one is 100% vegan.

You may also be surprised to note, that it is actually also a raw recipe made with raw carrots, nuts and berries, in this case goji berries and pistachio and almond nuts.   
As someone who has consumed her fair share of traditional carrot halwa (and South Asian sweets), I can hand on heart say that this really did taste like the real thing, rich and packed with loads of flavour.  I was rather pleased with myself.   



I've just sliced the 'halwa' fudge here into bite size pieces, but you can also roll them into bite size balls too.
The recipe is ready to go, but as I was experimenting with my new toy and Optimum 9400 Blender,  I cannot remember the quantity of one of the ingredients, so I will have to rem-make it one more time to know for sure, so I will up-date this post in the next couple of weeks, so please be patient. 

20 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty good! Easy to make too, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, worth trying when I make the recipe.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow these sound fab - I'll have to try it when you post the recipe! I spent a lot of time growing up in Leicester and I miss all the Burfi and Indian sweets from my pre-vegan days. This has inspired me to have a go at recreating some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessie. I will post the recipe, just forgive me if its a touch slow, but it will got up I promise.

      Delete
  3. I love how festively colorful they are...looking forward to the recipe!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Peace Patch.I will post the recipe, just forgive me if its a touch slow, but it will go up I promise.

      Delete
  4. Ooh I look forward to this recipe! I am yet to try a raw carrot dessert, but have been spotting a lot of raw carrot slices and bliss balls lately, so it's definitely on my agenda to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks littleveganbear.
      I promise to share it after I have double checked the recipe, don't want to give the wrong quantities. In the meantime, have you seen this recipe of mine that may interest you.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/raw-carrot-halwa-mousse-pudding.html

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow - that's beautiful! Can't wait to see the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea...and with carrots, awesome!

    Nicole @ Vegan Nom Noms
    http://www.vegannomnoms.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss gajarella so much- thanks for making it possible again- and raw, too! Can't wait for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I will post the recipe, just sorry I messed up this time round, it was because I was experimenting and adapting quantities as I went, that I have two measurements and cannot figure out which is correct. I will give youa gentle prod when the recipe goes up.
      By the way, you may be interested to note that I have made vegan Homity Pies, very different from yours - hope you like.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to the recipe - not sure what to do with all of my carrots at this time of the year and I've made most of the trad. recipes (roast carrots, carrot cake, etc.). Looks yummy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie.
      I will try and be a little quick about it, seems like a number of people are genuinely interested int he recipe, so I will share without too much delay.

      Delete
  9. Shaheen,
    Wrong time of the day to be looking at sweets, but I will try to behave.
    My Goodness - delicious!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandra, I would have been more than happy to share with you. Hope your well.

      Delete
  10. What an interesting recipe. Sounds like an amazing mix of flavours and textures and is a beautiful colour too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, it was really lovely. Hope to share the recipe in due course.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen