Friday, 19 September 2014

Vegan BBQ Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks'

Oh wow, how real do these vegan BBQ Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks' look?!

At first, these vegan BBQ Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks' intimidated me a little, as they looked so real and 'meaty' on the plate.  I actually felt like I was eating out at a British pub, but I was at home.  These 'beetroot seitan 'steaks' were substantial and had texture and bite, had I not made them with my own hands, I would have been a bit sceptical tucking in, especially as you need a proper carving or a sharp knife to cut through the thick red slabs, motioning back and fro to reveal the beetroot 'bloody' seitan innards.  Succulent is not a word often associated with vegan grub, but these certainly were.  
Regular reader will know, that I don't do OMG!  But OMG and I am not exaggerating here, you should have seen the blender with the beetroot concoction, like a scene from a gory horror movie, my hands were too full to get the camera and take a picture.  The recipe can get messy, if your a tad clumsy, so be prepared to do some wiping down with a cloth, but you won't regret the end result that lands on  your plate, its pretty 'spoof', yet real!  

I also have to point out my mistake (not the recipe) that the first batch I made were a little over-done, but the second batch, I was more mindful of the timing and they turned out pretty perfect. The beetroot seitan 'steaks' are basted on both sides with a thick layer of BBQ sauce. This particular Smooth Original BBQ sauce comes from Jack Daniels.  It is both suitable for vegans and vegetarians. My taste buds are adventurous and can certainly take more smokiness and warmth, so I am looking forward to trying out the other two bottles: Extra Hot Habenero; and Hot Pepper Steak Sauce that I have, but you can use BBQ sauce any that you like. 
If you don't wish to make Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks', then you can easily shape the seitan into patties and make them into 'Beefy' Beetroot Seitan Burgers.  The recipe should make 8. 

Thanks to Suma Wholefoods, I am so pleased to be able to get vital wheat gluten that is more affordable and accessible.  And be a bit more adventurous with wheat meat creations that end up on my plate at home,  I know D is even more excited than me. 

These BBQ Beetroot Setian 'Steaks' are inspired and adapted from my lovely blogger friend Jules over at Little Black Fox.  I've written quite fondly of her before.  Jules has been quiet on the blog frontier for a couple of reasons.  First she was busy enjoying entrepreneurship with her partner, and most recently, motherhood.   I  know she will be delighted that more people will get to enjoy the recipe, albeit it with some little changes.  


Vegan BBQ Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks'
Makes 4 large steaks or 6 medium steaks
You will need a blender and panini press or plug in grill for this recipe
Ingredients
285g vital wheat gluten (from Suma Wholefoods
1 teaspoon vegetable stock (make sure its vegan)
2 raw beetroots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
250ml beetroot juice (I used James White organic Beetroot Juice Beet It from Suma Wholefoods)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (I used Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce Smooth Original; or Hot Pepper Steak Sauce
Vegetable oil to coat the wheat gluten meat
Method
Plug in panini press to heat up.
Put the vital wheat gluten into a wide bowl.
Put the chopped beetroot, onion, vegetable stock, beetroot juice, 4 tablespoons BBQ sauce, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth (the colour will be shocking! but awesome!). Then carefully stir with a spatula (or your hands if you dare) into the vital wheat gluten until well combined.  Do not knead too long, just until it is combined. Then divide the mixture into 4 or 6 pieces and flatten with the palm of your hands (or a rolling pin) into rectangle 'steak' shapes and about 1 cm thick.  
Coat the wheat gluten meat with the oil.
Carefully transfer the wheat gluten with the palm of your hands x 2 onto the panini press (see last image above), press and allow it to sear for about 5 minutes or until the griddle marks appear and it appears firm.   
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc. 
Using a slicer, transfer from the panini press to a baking tray.
Using a pastry brush, coat the seared wheat gluten generously with BBQ sauce.  Place int he oven and cook for 15 minutes, then remove, flip over and coat the other side generously with BBQ sauce again, repeat this one more time, before removing and serving.  The important thing is not to over cook it, as the 'wheat meat' will easily dry out.   
Recipe Inspired and adapted from Little Black Fox, find the original 'Beet Ribs' recipe here.
Integrity statement As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network. I also received Jack Daniels BBQ sauces to try out in recipe development and was not required to write a positive view. 

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it certainly does look real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant change from shop bought mock meat littleveganbear.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I saw the photos first and, for a moment I thought you'd actually posted a real steak recipe lol! Those pics are incredible! I'd love to try your recipe so do tweet me when you've got round to posting it.
    Have a great weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon - yeph if only it was April Fools Day.
      Please check out the original link, I have made some changes though as the cup and gram measurements are not the same.

      Delete
  3. These sound fantastic and look mighty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on the VeganMofo blog. All I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming on over, I am so pleased it intrigued you on VeganMofo.

      Delete
  5. That truly is a slab of beetroot wonder! It looks like a perfect vegetarian BBQ alternative and one that us meat-eaters would be suitably jealous of. Love the colour too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much Kate, but I have to thank my lovely friend Jules for the inspiration, her blog is often overlooked. I think those blogs that are under the radar are sometimes the ones that offer great inspiration, I am just sorry that she does not blog much now.

      Delete
  6. Oh wowzers, these look RIDICULOUSLY good. I have to try them! I can't wait for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jojo, I am so humbled to have you visit my blog. I think it may be the first time ever, thank you. I do hope you try the recipe out, I am grateful to my friend Jules for sharing the recipe on her blog many years ago, I have just adapted it a little, namely with beetroot juice. Happy VeganMofo - I am really enjoying being part of it. Thank you once again.

      Delete
  7. this looks so real that it is a bit unsettling - love the char grill marks - saw it on the weekend when I was staying with my friend and tried to convince him to buy beetroot juice for it in the supermarket - sadly I wasn't successful. I don't know if we have beetroot juice in our supermarket but am sure it is about in one of the shops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, had I not made it myself I really would have been suspect. You can make this without the beet juice, check out the original recipe link, the beetroot juice is my adaptation and I do feel it made a difference as it gave it more 'succulence' if that makes sorta sense. Beetroot juice is an acquired taste, so if you do manage to get some, think of ways to use it - its super strong stuff, i have just nearly finished my carton.

      Delete
  8. look at buywholefoodsonline for significantly cheaper gluten flour

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You