Sunday, 28 September 2014

Cawlfish - Keeping The Faith in Porthcawl

We were looking for something different to do at the weekend, when we stumbled across an on-line article promoting the Elvis Festival in Porthcawl, now in its 11th year.  

Every September thousands of Elvis Presley fans from around the U.K, and the world head to the Welsh seaside town of Porthcawl in South Wales. The last time I went to Porthcawl was a child on a seaside school trip. I don't remember it much, so for me it was interesting to go there again and look at it with grown up eyes, but this weekend was not about sand, sticker rocks and chips, today it was all about Elvis and as an Elvis Presley fan, D was super excited and eager to go.

Here are some selected photographs from this weekend.
I didn't come home with a mug, I came home with a novelty solar powered 'rock'n'rolling dancing Elvis for our car; and D picked up, not one, not two but three Elvis themed t-shirts. 

To end, here are a couple of my own Elvis inspired recipes. 
The Elvis Presley Bagel which surprising was not found on the menu anywhere in Porthcawl. 
Nor was The Graceland Cake: Strawberry, Banana and Peanut Butter Cake.


  1. That looks like an excellent way to spend the weekend!

  2. Wow, I have to show this to my boyfriend, he will be so jealous! He loves Elvis (is not obsessed, but goes through intense phases). In Australia there is an annual Elvis festival but it is in Orange, which is in country New South Wales. I'm not really sure why they picked that as the location. We are yet to go - we were in Orange mid last year and saw the permanent Elvis statue though, haha.

    1. I wonder what you boyfriend will think of it.

      Hope you both get to go to Orange one day :)

  3. I'm OK with the Graceland cake, but I think I'll Pass on the Elvis wigs!

    1. Thanks Mark, yes I would pass on the Elvis wigs too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You