Monday, 15 September 2014

Plum, Plum

Unlike supermarket perfectly plum shaped, ripened and blemish free plums, my plum are blotchy, irregular in shape and varying in shades of ripeness.  I am actually quite surprised that I even got a harvest, as both my apple and pear trees have produced zilch.  When I looked at the plums a few weeks back, I thought they were for the bin (not even the compost bin) as they were not looking good at all, some had gone mouldy, some rot and some had some kind of resin stuck to it. But some fought off the whatever was attacking them and ended up in my kitchen. 
I have made a number of recipes with some of them.  As well as old favourites like the Ginger Plum Crumble, but also some new recipes that I will share later on my blog such as Star Anise Sorbet, Spicy Plum Chutney,
a vegan Plum Cake based on this this Cinnamon Plum Cake, 
but right now, I am sharing these fresh plums with Daphne Dandelions for Harvest Monday.

18 comments:

  1. Scary dragon guarding your pastries! Glad to see you get good use out of your plums. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Its a friendly Welsh dragon, there are some fierce ones around here, but not this one.

      Delete
  2. What a treat to have plums! I just planted our tree this year, so it will be a while before we have any. That vegan plum cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking! How gratifying that you were able to resuce a harvest from your poor trees. Better luck next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, yes I was pleased.

      Delete
  4. Goodness, those recipes sound good. I love plums.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaheen,
    I look forward to the chutney recipe.
    The cake looks delicious.
    I love the 'irregularity' of your plums.
    Actually, more like - tired of looking at the 'regular' stuff :)

    Have a Beautiful day!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chandra, I must try and take a picture of it, I have been eating it over the week with oatcakes, its nearly finished, but I will try and take a pic to accompany the recipe that will be posted this month.

      Delete
  6. Irregular plums are much better than no plums - I have a tree that we planted 4 years ago and it gave us a nice pound or so last year but nothing this year (probably due to our unusually cold winter). I'm hoping that they will be more productive next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Margaret. I hope next year your plum tree rewards you, start bookmarking those plum recipes!

      Delete
  7. i love your plum creations. last week my boyfriend brought home the last of the plums from his coworkers tree. we savored every bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Kendy, been a while :) Hope your well.

      Delete
  8. Jealous of all those gorgeous plums - we still have few years to wait until our tree produces. And it doesn't mater what they look like - they'll taste just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I hope your tree rewards you well in the future. And yes your right, don't matter how they look, but how they taste and they tasted good

      Delete
  9. You are doing better than I am. My plum tree has never once produced a crop. I'm still hoping though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne, grateful I got some - they were not looking promising early on. I hope you get a crop one day, am hoping my pear and apple tree produce next year

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You