Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Quinoa Carrot 'Meatballs' in Tamarind Sauce

I share with you another very autumnal looking dish - Carrot Quinoa 'Meatballs' in Tamarind Sauce.

I know I have already shared a blog post for VeganMofo featuring mock 'meatballs', but this one is not made with TVP or 'meat' substitutes.  These are made from scratch with quinoa, carrots and chickpea flour, then rolled into bite sized balls and pan fried before being added to the tangy sauce. 
D is not that keen on tamarind, which surprises me as he likes citrussy things, but I guess tamarind offers a different kind of twang, rather than a zing.  I love tamarind.  I grew up eating and drinking it, especially when my taste buds need waking up or when I am feeling a little poorly. 

Back to this Tamarind Sauce based dish.  I must add that this is not a soupy sauce, its a little on the thick side as it is rich in flavour, but feel free to water it down with either a bit of water of vegetable stock if you so wish. 

I am sharing this Tamarind sauce dish with Vanesther at Bangers and Mash for this months The Spice Trail.  The Theme is A Taste of India
Quinoa Carrot 'Meatballs' in Tamarind Sauce
For the Quinoa Carrot Meatballs
Follow this recipe, but replace the parsnip with carrots and shape mixture into bite size balls
For the tamarind sauce
Ingredients
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 x 400g tomatoes 
2 tablespoon tamarind paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and tender, then stir in the spices, heat through, before adding int he tinned tomatoes and the tamarind paste.  Season with salt and cook for 20 - 30 minutes until soft and, thicken.  Make sure you stir every so often and break up those tomatoes to a pulp. 
When ready, stir in the quinoa 'meatballs', allow to heat through for a few minutes, before serving.

10 comments:

  1. These look interesting! I have a jar of quinoa that we used to add to bread before the machine broke several years ago. Hope the grains will still be ok and can give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou,
      They do tend to last a while, but check the date. I wouldn't risk them if they are out of date though. If they are okay, i hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  2. I really like tamarind; as I don't use vinegar I like to put it in chutneys, dressings and sauces a lot. Your dishes look fantastic; thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I had a feeling you did, and why not :)
      You probably know this, but its what makes brown sauce taste so good.

      Delete
  3. Looks great - though I don't use tamarind enough to feel comfortable with it - which is not to say I don't like it but I am never sure I get it quite right. I don't think I would have it when poorly but vegemite on toast is my poorly food which has similar strong flavours so it makes sense to me that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      My husband likes 'meatball' lookie likey dishes, so i have to make more of them now, esp. as autumn is coming. I grew up with tamarind, so i guess it is my marmite of sorts - but when i left home for Uni, marmite was in my cupboard all the time. I still have it, and will make more of it with the winter. I hope you will experiment with tamarind more, but i understand totally where you are coming from, i feel a bit about that with miso at the moment.

      Delete
  4. This dish looks absolutely irresistible! I love the twang of tamarind, so this has my name all over it... And a perfect entry for this month's Spice Trail challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole meal looks so wonderful Shaheen! I bet the tamarind makes an especially delicious tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You