Friday, 12 September 2014

Vegan Hot Chocolate 'Marshmallow' Brownies

I've tried and tested many vegan recipes over the years and I have to say I have always been disappointed, hence the reason that I have never blogged about them until now; and what made it lush was that it was made with coconut cream.  It was everything a brownie should be , soft, squidgy, fudgy, dense and chocolaty. Even my husband approved - Yeah. 

I decided to make them again, this time with the addition of vegetarian marshmallows that I got from Suma Wholefoods.  I am so chuffed with these Freedom  Mallows that are suitable for vegans too.  Come the autumn, I am now looking forward to drinking my hot chocolate topped off with marshmallows, yay.  Call me selfish, I won't be sharing them with anyone either.  
Anyway, back to the Hot Chocolate Brownies.  I stirred in a packet of Freedom marshmallows to the batter, before baking them, but they did not turn out 100%, but nor were they a failure, read on and you will discover why.  
There were some air pockets.  However these air pockets captured the essence of marshmallow and these were only detected when you took a bite of the brownie, and a gentle puff of marshmallow heaven is released in your mouth and elates you and gives you angel wings momentarily.  Bliss. But I think the next time I make them and I will. I will just scatter the mini marshmallows over the top when the brownie comes out of the oven, so that they have a chance to melt a little onto and into the brownies, like topping off a hot chocolate - hence the name of the recipe. 



Hot Chocolate 'Marshmallow' Brownies
Makes 9 - 12 depending on how you slice it!
Ingredients
100g dark chocolate, broken or chopped into pieces
180g sugar
2 flax seed 'eggs' 
Coconut cream skimmed off a tin of coconut milk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
100g self raising flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 - 1 packet of Freedom Mallows from Suma Wholefoods
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper.
Melt the chocolate and sugar in a bain marie (or a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water). Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.  Then with a blender mi x in the flax seed 'eggs', coconut cream and vinegar.
Stir in the sifted flour, and baking powder until well combined, but be careful not to over mix. 
Pour into the lined baking tin.  
Bake on middle shelf for 25 minutes, until springy in the centre but firm around the edges. 
A minute or two before removing from the oven, scatter over the optional Freedom marshmallows  evenly and allow it to melt a little, before finally removing and allowing them to cool in tin before slicing up and serving. 

Integrity statement  As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.

16 comments:

  1. These look yummy! Love the use of the coconut cream.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, they truly were delicious

      Delete
  2. These look really good! I've seen those marshmallows for sale here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly. I have also found some vegetarian/vegan marhsmallows online so I will have to try these brownies next time I order some. The problem is, when they are in the house I can't resist them and they disappear within days! ;-) Thanks for sharing your recipe, even if you don't share your marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely! I understand completely on not sharing those vegan marshmallows - I feel just the same, and have also struggled to use the few packets I've bought in baking, because I want to eat all the mallows straight up! I would reserve some for these brownies though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The brownies look great! But I really love the red dragon and whatever it is that is beside it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see my Original Welsh Recipes post for Vegan Mofo this month, you will find the link to the recipe.

      Delete
  6. Hi Shaheen,
    Vegan Marshmallow Brownie - yummy!
    I gotta find some vegan marshmallows now :)
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, it took me years to find some.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Sooz, you must make - they were excellent!

      Delete
  8. I made them & loved every bite! So delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Would love to see how yours turned out.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You