Monday, 8 September 2014

Vegan Broad Bean and Coriander Soft 'Cheese'

Today I share with you a recipe that I bookmarked and made pretty much made as soon as I saw it.  The recipe in for Broad Bean 'Cheese' comes from Jasmine Trinity over at Self Sufficient Cafe.  When I saw it only last month as part of Eat Your Greens challenge, I bookmarked it immediately.  In fact I  was so bowled over by its awesomeness (a word that I do not use lightly) that  I made it within a week or so of seeing it, another reason for this haste was wanting to use up the last of my late broad beans.  
I've made vegetarian and vegan jelly's (in the British sense) with agar agar at home plenty of times mostly with fruit and vegetable juices, but I had never used agar agar and green vegetables in this way before and I was very, very impressed, not just with the result, but how it looked and tasted.  



Jasmine describes this as a vegan broad bean 'cheese' but I have to admit I found it more like a pate at first as its spreadable, then in my head I was persuaded that it was more close to a soft cheese, equivalent to goats cheese or the Scottish crowdie, but amazingly green!  

I loved how it sliced elegantly too.  It does taste strongly of broad beans, but I was pleased with my addition of fresh coriander that imparted slight delicate undertones, whereas Jasmines original version has basil. You can find Jasmines original recipe here, but this one is made with a couple of minor changes. Thank you Jasmine.  Please do go on by and check out her blog Self Sufficient Cafe if your not familiar with it already.  I am sharing this recipe with Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes for this months Bookmarked Recipes
Vegan Broad Bean and Coriander Soft 'Cheese'
Ingredients
180g 200g broad beans, shelled, blanched, drained and outer skin removed
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon fresh coriander
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
200ml soy milk (unsweetened)
1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Transfer the broad beans, garlic and coriander to a blender.
In a saucepan, add the milk and agar agar flakes and bring to a gentle simmer until the agar agar has dissolved.   Then pour the agar agar infused milk into the blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Carefully pour into your chosen container (I used silicon moulds) and transfer to fridge until set. Best left overnight.
The following day, transfer to a serving dish and enjoy with crackers or jacket potatoes!

11 comments:

  1. Looking good Shaheen! I'm so pleased you liked it and have used it as your bookmark recipe. :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jasmine, its one of many bookmarked recipes see below, but I just had to make these sooner and so glad I did with homegrown broad beans.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/bookmarked-vegetable-cakes-desserts-and.html

      Delete
  2. Yum! I'd love to try some. It looks amazing.<3

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sweet comment on my birthday post. Happy to know you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh e, you are so welcome. I am sorry I don't come by as much as I once did.

      Delete
  4. That does indeed look awesome,will try this as I have some broad beans left, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I am so surprised you still have broad beans, hope you do get a chance to make.

      Delete
  5. this looks loverrly, do you just the little beans inside, without the skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, without the outer skin that slips off easy once boiled.

      Delete
  6. I love making vegan cheeses and spreads ! This one looks pretty unique ...must try !

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You