Monday, 1 September 2014

Vegan Sweet Corn, Courgette and Red Pepper Cake

After enjoying participating last in Vegan MoFo. I have decided to do it all over again.   
For those of you who are not familiar with Vegan MoFo, it is short for 'Vegan Month of Food'.  Hundreds of vegan and vegan-friendly bloggers (like mine) sign up to commit to posting at least 20 posts in the month relating to vegan food.

Many of you will know that I am not a vegan, but a vegetarian, however a lot of what I do cook from scratch happens to be vegan friendly.  Therefore, September 2014 this blog will be free of all animal products such as cheese, dairy, eggs and  honey. 

I do not  have a theme for Vegan MoFo, but if there was going to be a theme it would be seasonal vegetables, of course and I might even throw in some recipes inspired by my Welsh roots too.

So let it begin  with this family and crowd friendly vegan Sweet Corn, courgette and Red Pepper Savoury Cake.  
I made this savoury chickpea cake at the weekend, it was sliced and served with vibrant leafy greens. 


Vegan Sweet Corn, Courgette and Red Pepper Cake
Makes 2 x 8 inch round cake tins
Ingredients
Cooking oil for coating the tin
21/2 cups besan/Chickpea flour
3 cups cold water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil or parsley
2 courgettes/zucchini, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, cored and chopped into small cubes
1 x can of sweet corn, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Coat the cake tins with oil and set aside.  
In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, oil and salt.  Whisk well ensuring that there are no lumps in the batter.  Then stir in all the vegetables, herb and seasoning and stir well to combine.  Using a ladle, evenly pour out the thick vegetable batter mixture between the two tins.  Put onto a baking sheet and transfer to a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 25 - 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 - 30 minutes, before removing from the tin and serving in slices.   Inspired and adapted from Krys from Dine In, Not Out via this recipe.

16 comments:

  1. Great recipe - like you I'm not vegan but we eat a lot of vegan food - I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you freerangegirl, it's so lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I've never tried a savoury cake before - this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you littleveganbear, you try a variation some day soon.

      Delete
  3. This looks gorgeous Shaheen - thanks for sharing. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks AMAZING! I love chickpea flour-based goodies. I love the beautiful colors. Seasonal produce is my scene too. I look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amey, I hope to visit as many mofo bloggers that I can

      Delete
  5. your besan cake looks really lovely - I could imagine it in the middle of the table for a big vegan feast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I grew up eating besan in lots of south asian dishes esp pakoras, but a cake like this hasn't featured much, it was lovely

      Delete
  6. Looks yummy. Wonder if I should take it with Roquette or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see you are signed up for Vegan Mofo! I look forward to reading your psots :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jasmine. I will be coming by your space too.

      Delete
  8. Great looking cake Shaheen! Love the use of chickpea flour!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You