Friday, 3 April 2009

Posh Vegetarian nosh with... cabbage


The glorious cabbage - another humble vegetable that is disliked by people up and down the nation. Like the cauliflower yesterday, this cabbage was also grown in Lincolnshire, England.

So what was I going to with this Savoy Cabbage - the King of cabbages? I decided on doing something that would not be too labouring, after all it's Friday evening and I don't want to be in the kitchen all evening. I decided on cooking the cabbage simply with garlic and pine nuts, and this was the final result.
This pretty plate of food had slices of roast potatoes, veggie pie and cabbage with garlic and pine nuts. It really was simple and actually quite delicious. Both the garlic and the pine nuts gave the cabbage a sweetness, to counter that bitterness you often get with winter cabbages.

Cabbage with garlic and pine nuts
Ingredients
1 small cabbage, sliced thinly
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Roast pine nuts in oven for 5 minutes, until slightly brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool.

Steam cabbage, until cooked. Drain and leave to cool.
In a large frying pan heat oil with garlic until infused. Then add cabbage stir well to coat in oil and cook for a few minutes until it is warmed through. Add seasoning to taste, along with pine nuts and stir well before serving.

I think next time, I may even use the cabbage cooked this way stirred into pasta. Now that's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You