Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Lonely Asparagus Shoot

Ah the asparagus season is upon us, which lasts about 10 – 12 weeks. Asparagus is Ds favourite vegetable. Personally asparagus does nothing for my taste buds, other than occasionally serving as soldier dips for soft boiled eggs, but D was so keen to grow some of his own, especially as they are so expensive to buy. So he planted six crowns in the ground. I was doubtful whether they will grow outside in the Scottish climate, but he was optimistic and anything is worth a try.

So last year, much to my amazement a couple of shoots did come up, I was so astonished that I had to take a photograph to prove to other disbelievers that this little asparagus grew outside.

Unfortunately for D, it was not worth harvesting. I wonder if this year they will fair any better? Looking at the asparagus bed earlier this afternoon, I don’t think so. I am going to give the asparagus crowns another chance this year, if they do not come up tall, green and glorious, then I will dig them up, and give the plot over to something else that will produce. Or should I still be patient a little bit more?


  1. Asparagus seesm like it would be hard to grow. It's not one of my favorite veggies, but dave loves it.

  2. It is hard to grow, i think it takes about five years to establish itself, and it grows better in Southern climates.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You