Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Sweet Potato and Cranberry Scones

I made these Sweet  Potato and Cranberry Scones last week.  I actually had intended on making Sweet Potato Drop Cakes, but something made me change my mind and I ended up with these Sweet Potato Scones.  
The recipe still needs a bit of tweaking, as they did not rise as much as I had expected them too. And the cranberries that were exposed on the outside of the scone went dark and hard as bullets. The scones themselves tasted very good though. 
I am sharing these Sweet Potato and Cranberry Scones with International Scone Week 10 - 16 August hosted by Lavender & Lime and Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.



Sweet Potato and Cranberry Scones
Makes 8
Ingredients
400g plain flour, plus extra 
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
25g butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
200g cooked, pureed sweet potato
Optional: small handful of dried cranberries, 
60ml -100ml milk
Method
sift the flour with the salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and pureed sweet potato and cranberries, then slowly pour in enough milk to form a soft dough.
On a floured surface, roll out to about 2 inch thick and stamp rounds into it with a pastry cutter.
Gather the scraps , re-roll and cut into more scones.
Transfer to baking tin and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until risen and golden. 
Leave to cool, before slicing and enjoying with a tad of butter.
Best eaten on the day or the day after - just.

16 comments:

  1. This is pretty clever idea! I love sweet potato. Too bad, it's a little bit too expensive in Slovenia, and because of that, I don't eat it often.

    Take care!

    http://www.itislovelyfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neja. I've also made some muffins recently with sweet potatoes, I know you don't eat it often - but sometimes its nice to treat yourself once in a while.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind dried fruit being chewy on the outside of baked goods but bullets doesn't sound good - however I am sure these would be lovely straight out of the oven - nice flavours. More baking powder might help them rise more (For self raising flour it is 1 tsp per 1/2 cup which is about 75g). And I think having to make them again to get them to rise more sounds like no hardship at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think soaking the dried fruit does help, I have seen some scone recipes that recommend doing that in milk - I vaguely remember from home economics at school too. And i take on board what you said about measurements and will try these again for sure. The flavours are fab though. I've also recently made some Sweet potato muffins with homegrown blueberries - will share soon.

      Delete
  3. These are so interesting and I am sure very flavourful, even if the rise was not what you expected :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tandy, they were quite delicious

      Delete
  4. Yummy recipe and great looking scones! I had to look-up Castor Sugar, as I am not used to that terminology - sweet :)
    Have a Beautiful Day, Shaheen!!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chandra, Oh yes, caster sugar is just fine sugar here not powdered sugar. Hope your well.

      Delete
  5. Mmm, I love sweet potato and am always keen to find new ways to use it. These scones sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination scone! Thanks for sharing this lovely favor! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, really appreciate you coming on over.

      Delete
  7. I love sweet potatoes and cranberries together. I'm sure a little tweaking will turn out a fantastic scone to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Gretchen, it tasted good though. And yes agree sweet potatoes and cranberries are fantastic together

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaheen, oh I love sweet potatoes, never thought to add them to a scone. Delicious sounding combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheri, I recommend it, it adds a lovely sweet natural flavour.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You