Monday, 10 August 2015

Feeding Two Birds with One Lemonade Scone

When I was given this recipe for Lemonade Scones a month or so back, I was quite excited at making them.  I had assumed wrongly that the Lemonade scones would be more prominent in lemonade flavour, but that was not the case.  The lemonade fizz just adds oomf and lightness, rather than imparting lemony taste.  Still it was a pleasant scone. 
The recipe is really simple and one I didn't even have to jot down when it was dictated to me: 375g self raising flour, sifted then gently stir in 170ml double (heavy)cream  and 170ml lemonade. Once combined to a dough, cut into triangle scones, transfer to a baking tray and bake at gas mark 4/180oc for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  
For those of your interested, I came across the expression feeding two birds with one scone really recently as I've always loathed using the expression 'kill two birds with one stone'.  I like the birds, I watch them, I feed them, they give me joy and amusement.  This kinder expression of 'feeding two birds with one scone' comes from  here.  Its simply about becoming more more mindful, the way some of us have stopped using old racist, sexist and homophobic terms and this common courtesy and respect being extended to other sentient beings. 
Anyway, onto a lighter subject here is some real 'bird action' in my garden. Not the best pictures, but you can see them tucking in to whatever we can offer, including scones, pastry, bread, Yorkshire puddings and sometimes they get really lucky when I can be bothered to make homemade bird food. Treats, but its nothing compared to the joy they give us with their birdie ways. 
I am sharing these Lemonade Scones with International Scone Week 10 - 16 August hosted by Lavender & Lime and Fig Jam and Lime Cordial; and as they were made with double cream that had passed its use by date by one day with Waste Not Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.  Not only was the double cream (heavy cream) used in the making of these Lemonade scones, but also whipped up, lovely, light and creamy for the filling. 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen, I have never added lemonade to scones before and love your cut little flower garnish. I thinking your saying "feed two birds with one scone" is much nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much. It was new for me too,

      Delete
  2. I love the saying, feeding 2 birds rather than killing 2 birds. Thank you for sharing that, and this recipe. And thank you for taking part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tandy. I am so pleased you like and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  3. These scones look scrumptious. I would not have thought to put lemonade in a scone. Maybe a little extra lemon zest would give it the stronger lemon flavor. Many I love that saying, I haven't heard it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen. I think a little lemon zest is the way to go forward next time.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, what a unique scone flavor, I bet these are delicious. Love how you changed the saying, it is now perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to make lemonade scones and yours look delicious Shaheen! I wish I could be invited to the screen to try one now!
    Glad we are connected through our love of scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am pleased Joanne, do make them but please do add a little lemon zest too.

      Delete
  6. I love lemonade scones because they are so light and fluffy - and I will need to adapt to saying feeding two birds with one scone as I agree about the traditional saying being a bit sad - I find myself cringing at quite a lot of our regular sayings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were light and fluffy.
      There are so many terrible sayings, I appreciate they are from a time in the past, but we should move on as we are no longer in the past - yes, lots of sayings still around that make me really cringe, i challenge them often and when I can

      Delete
  7. I love lemonade scones, such an easy, delicious thing to whip up - also loving International Scone Week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so lovely and light! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Elizabeth, I hope to participate again this month

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You