Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Speckled Beetroot Apple Cake

Remember those windfall apples, well here is one rather lovely Apple Cake recipe made with some of them.  
But this is not an ordinary apple cake, this one is enhanced further with both yellow and red beetroot. The two beetroot bunches that I picked up from the Fruit Machine have fed us well.  I've made a few recipes with them such as Beetroot and Cauliflower and Paneer CurryBeetroot Leaf KuKu; Balsamic Beetroot Tart (still to blog about) and now this Beetroot Apple Cake. 
The pictures don't show it as well as I had wished, but the lightly sweet moist cake is speckled with red and yellow beetroot.  The grated apple disappears, but you do taste it, whereas the beetroot has subtle undertones, it reminds you its there but not overly.  And for the final touch as its quite plain in appearance, I have adorned it with some homegrown edible flowers.  This cake is lovely for a picnic too or to take into work for lunch.  It is for that reason I am sharing this with Jibber Jabber for Love Cake: Pack me a Picnic.


Beetroot and Apple Cake
Makes 1 x 8 inch round cake with removable base
Ingredients
225g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
115g butter, chopped into cubes
225g apples, peeled and grated
1 small red beetroot, grated
1 small yellow beetroot, grated
1 egg
100ml milk
Optional: 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
Method
Heat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Grease and line a 8 inch cake tin.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.  Add the butter and rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Stir in the sugar, grated apples and grated beetroot thoroughly.
In a bowl, mix together the egg and milk and add it to the mixture.
Scrape carefully into the baking tin.
Sprinkle over the optional demerara sugar.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 - 60 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool, before removing from the tin and enjoying. Adapted from this recipe

8 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks lovely. I still have some beetroot to use up and I'm sure I can gather some windfall apples. What are those flowers? They are so pretty. (I did add a comment previously but it seems to have disappeared into the ether, so apologies if this appears twice!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are violas aka heartsease, there are so many colours - i love growing them in pots at home. Sorry that you lost your previous comment, blogger does that sometimes and its rather annoying - but no second comment, so must have got lost

      Delete
  2. Sounds lovely - beetroot and apple is a great combination and those flowers look so pretty on top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, am making th most of the edible flowers in my garden - more to come

      Delete
  3. What an amazing combination. I haven't grown any beetroot this year so I haven't baked any beetroot cakes for a while. I love the natural sweetness that the apples give to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was disappointed with me that I had not grown some
      beetrot too, these were local though

      Delete
  4. What an unusual and lovely cake. The top looks lovely and crisp and the centre nice and moist.
    I intended to grow some beetroot this year, but never got round to planting the seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kate. I chucked some demerara sugar on the top to create that crisp look. It is really a lovely cake. I didnt' get round to growing beets of my own either this year, but am lucky that I am able to source some grown locally. Next year, hopefully more organised.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You