Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Rain or Shine In My Kitchen

I really enjoy participating In My Kitchen posts as it connects me with other fellow bloggers around the world.  This month Celia our gracious host from Fig and Lime Cordial has some pressing family distractions, however she has shared her IMK post and encouraged us to do the same.  This month you can find other peoples IMK contributions amongst the comments.
So here goes with my Rain or Shine IMK post, even though the sun has been out and blazing on days, I have been drinking hot chocolate.  This is no ordinary Hot chocolate, these are actual chunky dark pieces from Colombia which you melt in dairy or non-dairy milk and enjoy with optional extra sweeteners such as agave syrup, honey or maple syrup.  Its utterly gorgeous. 
I have some Black Quinoa and am looking forward to making some vegan vegetable burgers with them.  I've  also acquired some Clearspring Brown Rice Miso.  I've been enjoying the umami flavours of miso and quite recently made a Miso glazed Aubergines and have been hankering  to make it again, but if you have any other vegetarian or vegan recipe suggestions please let me know. 
I dug out my cute jar of Steenbergs Saffron and Orange Blossom water and put it on the kitchen table as I have a bookmarked recipe from V is for Vegan by Kerstin Rodgers aka Ms Marmite.  The recipe is for Carrots, Peppers and Lentil Tagine . 
And in anticipation of making this unusual Tagine, I have also picked up a jar of preserved lemons and pickled long chilli peppers, as well as a packet of ready made Ras El Hanout (not shown). 


But the Tagine recipe is on hold as it got taken over by these vegetables that shout Summer time.  I decided on making a Ratatouille.  Can I tell you something,  I actually don't like Ratatouille one bit.  However, I have decided I am always willing to give dishes another try. So these vegetables were chopped and stewed and transformed into a Ratatouille.   


Often ratatouille is served with good crusty bread, but I had none and I was not motivated enough to make homemade bread from scratch (even if it was in a breadmaker), so I opted to make some crispy polenta cakes.  When I put the polenta in the fridge to cool down, I was reminded of this VPud. 
I picked up this V Pud - Vegetarian Black Pudding recently when I was in Cardiff.  I've had VPud a few times when I lived in Scotland.  So decided to go ahead and use it for this dish as an additional accompaniment, as well as for old times sake.
Ta'dah - so here is the the finished dish.  For those of you interested, I will share the recipe later  in the week.
I made these nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon infused Sweet Potato and Coconut Flapjack slices for the working week.  A little bit of my garden has creeped in here with the violas, as I have been trying to make the most of my edible flowers in salads, but also to adorn plates
I've also got some Suma Pasta Tricolore Spirals and some Gomitini pasta.  These will be used for cold pasta salad work lunches as I like to ring the changes from the typical penne and farfalle pasta.  
And finally, V Bites Cheatin Tempeh Rashers saved for weekend brunch.  But D has designs on it as he is making lunch for work most of this week and a slices or two of these tempeh rashers will be this will tucked between my wholemeal bread sandwich no doubt.  I am looking forward to see how it compares to the 'facon' bacon I make at home.  I actually quite like V Bites meat-free products and have used many over the years, but don't get round to blogging about them as I don't really do reviews.  Okay with that I shall conclude my In My Kitchen blog post for August. 

17 comments:

  1. Shaheen, your polenta "flowers" are a darling garnish, as are your colorful violas. So pretty! Did you change your mind about liking ratatouille? Yours must have turned out wonderfully with those gorgeous vegetables. (Wish I could have tasted it!) And oh my, chunky hot chocolate... xo! Thanks for your colorful, flavorful IMK post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KIm. I'm writing a blog post about the ratatouille today (and no I haven't changed my mind - still not liking ratatouille, though I can just about eat it if I had too and I certainly did. Thank you for coming by via IMK, I do appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I have the same drinking chocolate and miso. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :0 ) Excellent. Hope you having a good break in Finland. I am envious, I so want a holiday.

      Delete
  3. I like these selections but could never stomach black pudding...Thanks for your sweet birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. I've never had the real black pudding, but this one has me
      interested.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, it's always good when I find things on your blog I haven't seen before so that I can go and investigate, that V Pud is a new one for me so I will have to check out my local wholefood shop. I'm guessing it's not the sort of thing Holland & Barratt will have. The hot choc block looks great too and black quinoa is new to me, all looks exciting.
    I've never been a fan of ratatouille, probably never had a good one.
    I found a blog the other day with some interesting recipes, it's not a veggie blog but there are some great veg and vegan dishes
    http://www.christinebailey.co.uk/recipe-index/
    Thanks for sharing all this lovely stuff and happy August to you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally. I've only seen it at two places in Cardiff and both were indie shops, don't know if H&B do it, don't think I've seen it in their chiller cabinet, but you could always ask. Hope you get your mitts on some to try, I liking it now, so much better than the first time I had it.
      Ah you make me feel better I thought it was just me who had an aversion to ratatouille. Tell you what, still not sold.
      Thanks for the blog link I will check it out, I have been exploring some new blogs recently and its been good.
      Hope August is a kind one for you too x

      Delete
  5. lots of great food in your kitchen and great meals too. I'd love to try the cheatin' bacon - tempeh bacon is always a challenge but I have seen some commercial stuff on other blogs that looks really crispy - would love to hear about your further experiments with the black pudding - I would love to try it as part of a fry up with baked beans and potato scones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you used a flower cutter for the polenta cakes! What a fun presentation and the ratatouille looks delicious. The drinking chocolate is fantastic, I just adore hot chocolate no matter how hot it may be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen. This hot chocolate is quite something.

      Delete
  7. so good to see another vego blog on IMK! love your plating, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate. I've visited your blog and like it very much. I will come on over in while and chock out your IMK post.

      Delete
  8. Hi Shaheen! Love drinking chocolate with just a hint of spice, and the flapjacks look tasty with the lovely garden garnish. I also have never been a fan of ratatouille, but I'm curious to see your recipe. Thanks for the peek, see you for MLLA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily. I won't be posting the ratatouille recipe up, sorry. Look forward to your contribution for MLLA.

      Delete
  9. i am in love with the idea of that hot chocolate shaheen. sounds wonderful. not sure about fake meat products. kinda defeats the purpose i always think:)) love your shiny veges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, I really do appreciate your comment.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You