Friday, 14 August 2015

Roasted Cauliflower, Beetroot and Paneer Curry with Nigella Seeds

D was exited when I told him what he was going to have for supper.
'Two of my favourite vegetables: Cauliflower and Beetroot - what's not to like?!' '
'The paneer' I added.  
'Oh I don't mind that' 
Its been a while since I have made a Beetroot Curry, so that is what I had decided to make with the beetroot that I had picked up from the Fruit Machine Grocery van.   This could have easily been a plain Beetroot Curry, but I remembered having a cauliflower in the fridge and some paneer, which I purchased a few weeks back.  So these were to form part of the dish.  

If you don't like paneer,  halloumi would also work, but paneer has more relevance to a curry style dish.  Of course if your vegan, you can easily replace tofu for the paneer and make this dish suitable for vegans.  The paneer was more for texture than anything else, plus it looked rather enigmatic nestled next to the cauliflower that was brilliantly dyed naturally crimson from the beetroot. 
When I went to plate the dish up, I thought it needed something else and that was done with a light scattering of nigella seeds known to me as kolonji seeds. I know its a small thing, but it finished the dish off beautifully.   If you don't have nigells seeds then black sesame seeds would work well too.   

I thought I had overdone it with the spices, as I don't really measure chilli and tend to do it by eye and set the tabl with a bowl of natural yogurt t cool down.  But with the plain Basmati rice, it was not necessary - it all seemed to balance out very well.  
And there was plenty left for the following day.  Let me know if you want to try the recipe and I will post it.  I am sharing this with Fabulous Foodie Fridays hosted by Bake Play Smile and Create Bake Make; Gluten Free Fridays hosted by Vegetarian Mama; Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays; and Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for Shop Local challenge.

12 comments:

  1. that looks genuinely delicious... I love everything about this including the glorious colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dom. You don't know how happy I am to read your lovely comment.

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely be interested in the recipe for this curry. I adore colourful food!

    Stephanie Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Stephanie Jane, the colour is pretty awesome

      Delete
  3. I found your blog through Fabulous Foodie Fridays link party. This looks so yummy and colorful! Sara @Life's Little Sweets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by Sara. I do like comments,

      Delete
  4. With the warmer weather nearly here I am so into healthy light meals right now!!! This one would be a winner at our house! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you like this Lucy and thank you so much for hosting Fab Foodie Fridays

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing Shaheen. I am a big fan of all the ingredients and I LOVE Paneer! Do you ever make your own? I recently found a recipe for it which looked amazingly straight forward and I am dying to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate. I have made paneer from scratch once, it is straightforward I agree, but sometimes laziness wins, but I have to say - homemade, like anything - tastes superior. Hope you try.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous colour! Loving the sound of this recipe, thanks for sharing with the Shop Local Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You