Saturday, 29 August 2015

Eat Your Greens #15

Welcome to the Round Up for 'Eat Your Greens' #14.    
This is a monthly vegetarian and vegan cooking challenge for food bloggers to make something with a green vegetable (or fruit) each month.  

In order of entries received, I begin with a vegetarian Flammkuchen that comes courtesy of The VegHog.  Flammkuchen is almost pizza like and comes from the Alsace region, topped with vegetables in this case the greens here are from leeks and melty cheesy goodness. 
Next we have Elizabeth from the Lawyer's Cookbook with a Baked Zucchini with Parsley and Oregano .This is a timely recipe  as for many gardeners zucchini aka courgettes are coming thick and strong from the garden.  I am liking this recipe even more for the crunchy topping. 
Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe shares with us Strawberry and Smoky Chickpea Salad. This is a colourful salad which included baby greens and batons of cucumber.
Lisa from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen also shares with us a bowl of green salad enhanced further with a bunch of kale.  This one is Vegan Caesar Salad and the dressing is made with nuts and almond milk.

Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary presents to use a rather lush bowl of Broad Bean and Courgette with Gouda.  The shades of greens in this soup are just wonderful and just look at the steam coming off the bowl, its ready to go.
Now onto the only sweet green recipe this month.  Ros from The More Than Occasional Bakers brings to the table a rather rich Chocolate Courgette Loaf with Nutella and Cranberries.  Here is a lovely warm slice for you to bestow your eyes upon. A little bit of naughty a little bit of nice.
Janet from the Taste Space shared with us Maple-Miso Kale and Cabbage Salad. What I like about Janet's recipes is that she always introduces me to new ways of combining your greens.  I would never had thought about combining red cabbage and kale together, but it works and it looks pretty too. 
Chicory is an acquired taste, but Jen from Chardonnay & Samphire shares with us here Caramelised Chicory, an accompaniment transformed by maceration in Balsamic vinegar and orange juice
And finally, my own contribution to Eat Your Greens - a Beetroot Leaf Kuku.  

Please go by and check each contribution and leave a comment, I know my fellow bloggers would appreciate it.  Also I am welcoming #EatYourGreen recipes for August.  Follow this link on how to participate.  I hope you will also be able to join in the Vegetable Palette challenge too, the theme is Purples and Blues.  Also welcoming #FruitPalette recipes. 


  1. Hope your hot water is back Shaheen and not a major problem. Your tasty treats are so colourful and exciting, I've done nothing much other than spiralise recently as the oven is going cool again but I love the comforting sight of the Flammkuchen for when I'm back at temperature. Enjoy the long weekend xx

    1. Thanks Sally, yes it was working fine - thank goodness. D reset it.
      Your courgetti would have been a fab entry for eat your greens maybe next month :) I have to admit, I haven't used it as the courgettes got transformed for another dish. We still have some coming from the garden, but nothing compared to last year.
      The Flammkuchen does look very good, I am tempted to try it myself. Hope you do too.

  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. Hope you will enter one day.

  3. Thank you for the kind words, Shaheen. I look forward to more greens next month. :)

    1. Your so welcome Janet. I look forward to your recipe next month. And thanks for supporting this challenge.

  4. nice green round up shaheen - glad to be in it this month!

    1. I am glad your part of it too Johanna, thank you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You