Friday, 7 August 2015

Caribbean Sweet Potato - Coconut Milk Oat Slice

A week or so back I made these Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Oat slices.  They were utterly gorgeous, scented with nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger - all very warming.  Every time I took a bite into these soft, sticky flapjack cake-like slices, it set me up in a happy daze.  
Let me tell you though this was meant to be a Caribbean Sweet Potato Pone.   I had full intentions on following the recipe from Caribbean Modern and not to stray from the written recipe, unless of course I genuinely didn't have the ingredients at home (mixed spice being one of them).  Normally when I do a cake bake style recipe I measure out all the ingredients and set them out in front of me, but I went into a daydream.  I blame the spices: cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and just kept pouring the coconut milk from the can into the bowl.  I realised this when it was a little to late, so to salvage the mixture, I quickly stirred in some rolled oats.  It was a happy and delicious mistake, make the pone a little more dense and perfect to eat for breakfast. You can eat this sticky treat with your fingers, or with a spork!
Caribbean Pone is traditionally made with cassava root, and evaporated milk or condensed milk. If you interested in making one with cassava,  then follow this link  Caribbean Cassava Pone.This one, as you will know from the blog title is made from Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk accidentally adapted from the Sweet Potato Pone featured in Caribbean Modern by Shivi Ramoutar. I've borrowed the cookbook from the library.  I have to praise my library as I am get to take out cookbooks that I would not normally flick through or buy, but this one I am really tempted by as I have bookmarked a number of recipes including cornmeal baked okra and Tamarind dressed Sweet Potato & Beetroot Salad. It is for this reason is one of my Bedside Cookbooks: Caribbean Modern by Shivi Ramoutar .  I am selfishly sharing some of these sliced sweeties with Waste Not Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary, as the sweet potatoes needed using up, I always buy way too many and then don't know what to do with them. 

Sweet Potato - Coconut Milk Oat Slice
Makes 12
250g sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
80g fine cornmeal
150g brown sugar
40g dessicated coconut
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Good grating of fresh nutmeg
Pinch of salt
300ml coconut milk
25g unsalted butter, melted
60g raisins
250g rolled oats
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.  Line a square 8 by 8 inches baking tin with baking parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, polenta, coconut, spices, coconut milk and melted butter , raisins and rolled oats.  Stir well to combine.
Scrape the batter into the baking tin and spread out evenly.  Place in the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until the cake skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool down before slicing into 12 good pieces. 


  1. Hi Shaheen,

    This recipe looks delicious. Will have to go shopping for a polenta and coconut milk, but I look forward to trying this recipe!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend. Barbara xx

    1. Thank you Barbara. I do hope you like it as much as I did. The weekend is now over :( and thoughts are turning to work.

  2. Now this sounds really interesting and I think I will have to give them a go ... makes mental note to try and grow sweet potatoes next year ;) #NoWasteFoodChallenge

    1. Thank you, these are utterly gorgeous. I am hoping to make the trad. version on day soon.

  3. This sounds so lovely! I love the addition of sweet potato - how intriguing! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge

    1. Thank you Elizabeth, it was gorgeous - really was I am hoping to make it again.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You