Thursday, 13 August 2015

Beetroot Leaf Kookoo Kuku

I was first introduced to Kuku (pronounced KooKoo) by the lovely Celia Brooks in one of her vegetarian cookbooks.  KuKu is a type of Persian omelette traditionally made with soft herbs, walnuts and barberries with the addition of baking powder as a raising agent.  I don't like omelette's, never have something about the wobbly texture just doesn't agree with me.  But I do like frittatas and Spanish style tortillas; and Kuku is similar in that it is set and can be sliced into delicious slithers.

I don't have masses of fresh soft herbs in my garden at the moment, so used some fresh beetroot leaves.  Some of you will remember my Savoury Beetroot Loaf wrapped in Beetroot Leaves and beetroot leaf Pakoras aka Beetroot Bhaji's , but this time I wanted to do something else with them and was reminded of Kuku. 
The bloke at the Fruit Machine, a cool name for a grocery van in the High Street where I work, said the beetroot had only been harvested early that morning.  As a vegetable grower, I totally believe him, you could see the freshness of the leafy greens and the perky red lace stems.  
You can eat this whatever time of day you wish, but we had it for lunch when we went to Weston Super Mare at the weekend with a couple of  over-excited nephews.  I served slices of this Kuku in a pitta pocket.  I handed one over to my youngest of nephew, his response when I asked 'do you like it? ' (by the way, this is the same nephew who tried the vegan Cocoa cookies and declared it 'to cocoa!) .He wrinkled his little nose and said, so not to upset or offend me, 'it's okay'.  I smiled at him.  Beetroot Leaf is not to some grown up adult tastes, forget about teens.  He preferred the pasta salad. We though, liked the Beetroot Leaf Kuku and would certainly have it again. 

I am sharing this Beetroot Leaf  KuKu with Dom over at Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent #6: Anything Goes  Challenge; and Elizabeths Kitchen Diary for Shop Local Challenge.

Beetroot Leaf Kuku
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
1 bunch of beetroot leaves, including stems. washed and chopped/shredded
1 red onion, finely minced
6 eggs
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Optional: 1 teaspoon Advieh (only because I had some) or turmeric powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Sunflower oil
In a frying pan, heat a 2 tablespoons oil, then add in the onions and saute until beginning to soften, then stir in the shredded beetroot leaves and stems and cook until soft and wilted.
In a bowl, beat the eggs , then sift in the flour and baking powder, spices if using and season to taste and stir well to combine.  
When the vegetables are soft, pour the egg mixture over it.
Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, when it is beginning to set, then flip it over using a plate and returning to the frying pan for the other side to cook gently.
When it is ready, slide carefully onto a serving plate and slice.


  1. what a lovely blog post... i've never heard of kuku and so i love coming over here to learn all about new foods.. it looks beautiful and I know I would love it. Such a deep rich colour too! Adore beetroot so i'm in! Thanks so much for linking to Simply Eggcellent x

    1. Thank you Dom. Your so kind, I really thought you would have heard of Kuku.

  2. I would quite happily tuck into this gorgeous dish for lunch! Those beetroot leaves sound like a superb addition! Thank you for sharing with the Shop Local Challenge :)

    1. Thanks, they were really fresh and local too, so it was a great way to enjoy them


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You