Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Rhubarb and Rose Bread

Around this time of year, I usually make Courgette aka Zucchini Bread, but sadly I am not growing any of my own. So it was to be 'Rhubarb Bread' with the rhubarb I picked up from the farmers market.  I could have chosen to make my favourite Rhubarb Tart; or even Rhubarb crumble, but I was not in the mood for lip puckering tartness and soft stewy textures. 

This Rhubarb Bread is infused with a little rosewater and cosmetically enhanced fruther with some edible rosebuds.  The result: sweet and salty, a bit like digestive biscuits.  This lighly perfumed pinky bread is quite delicate and will fall apart if you cut into it immediately, so if you have the patience - my advice it let it sit for 30 minutes or so, before slicing into it and taking your share.
I am submitting a slice of this 'Rhubarb and Rose Bread' to Simple And In Season: August edition as rhubarb is still in season in the U.K, especially if your in Scotland.  I am also linking it to Tasty Tuesdays hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.
Rhubarb and Rose Bread
Serves 6 maybe 8
280g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (or 1 egg)
90g golden caster sugar
125ml vegetable oil
130ml apple or orange juice
½ teaspoon rosewater or rose syrup
1 stick of rhubarb, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon edible dried rosebuds
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, aking powder, bicabonate of soda and salt.  Stir in the flaxseeds (or egg), sugar, oil, juice, rose flavouring, rhubarb and rosebuds.  Stir gently until just mixed.  The mixture will seem dry, but don't worry, it will moisten with the rhubarb bits.  Spoon into a greased or lined 2lb loaf tin and bake for 40 - 45 minutes.  Test with a skewer to see if done.  Cool for 30 minutes for slicing and serving with exta garnishing of rosebuds if you so wish. Adapted very slightly from How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.


  1. What a great idea, to use rhubarb in a bread type cake, and with rosewater too.....it looks fabulous, I do love cake type breads.

  2. Looks interesting. My boyfriend loves rose flavoured things, so one for him I think!

  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! Now i've found yours :) Looking forward to reading more!

  4. wow yum!

    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations


    Stop by any time! <3

  5. I really enjoy flax seed and didn't know they were a substitute for eggs! Lovely recipe.

  6. Hi! I have a question: I think we haven't got rhubarb here in Argentina ( I 've only seen it in cook's books), so may I use beet stems? Is it similar?



  7. That's a wonderful combo and looks fab

  8. Mmmmm what a delicious combination! I just got a whole bunch of dried edible rose buds - I made a cherry and rose bud coffee cake but the rose flavor wasn't too strong - did you find this with yours?

  9. I never eaten anything with rhubarb as one of the ingredients in any food. I am very curious. Contemplating if I should have a go growing rhubarb. That look so delicious.

  10. I've always wanted to use edible rose petals! Sounds a really intriguing combination with the Rhubarb too. Did you like it - How did it taste?

  11. Aren't the little rosebuds adorable?! I never would have thought to put rhubarb and rose together, but I do like the alliteration!

  12. Oooh! What a fab recipe! It looks amazing :-) Thankyou for visiting my blog. Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

  13. I love it! This looks fantastic! I love most anything with rhubarb and the rosewater seems perfect. :)

  14. That sounds like it would smell so good! What is the flavor like? I have never cooked with rose water, so I always wondered about it.

  15. Thanks Karen.
    Thanks Elise - I hope he likes this.
    Thanks Michele.
    Thanks Traci Michele.
    Thanks redkathy, I only learned about flax seeds being a sub from some of my vegan cookbooks, but its also an excellent ingredient in breads.

  16. Hi Verónica.
    I understand why you thought beet stems, but they will not taste the same as much more closer to spinach or chard, than rhubarb. So the answer is no. They are very different in texture and flavour. Hope you find some oneday x

    Thanks Priti.

    Hello Anna A.
    Your Cherry and rose bud coffee cake sounds lovely, your right the rose buds don't flavour it, just give it colour thats why I added rosewater, which gave it a little perfumery rather than flavour.

    Thanks you so, so much Malay-Kadazan girl. Its very kind of your to become a follower, I do appreciate it.
    It will take years to grow rhubarb from seed, even when its growign you don't harvest it as it has to ge tstrong. So if yo can buy a plant that is the way to go forward. Its a good plant to have as you will then have rhubarb pretty much every year.

  17. Hi Adam and Theresa.
    Did I not say, oh I liked it very much. Ihave to say the rosebuds don't give it flaovur only colour, its the rosewater that gives it a floral flavour.

    Hi Lauren.
    Yeph they certainly are adorable. Sometimes the colour of rhubarb gets lost in baking, so the rosebuds def. do add colour.

  18. Thanks mel.

    Hi Vic,
    Good to hear from you :)

    Hello Carissa,
    Did I not mention the flavour: sweet and salty, and a bit floral from the rosewater!

  19. I love a real delicacy, it looks absolutely perfect and original hugs.

  20. Thank you Rosita.
    Lovely to hear from you.

  21. A really unusual and delicious recipe. I love it! Thanks for sharing with Simple and in Season.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You