Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Baked Tomato Orzo

I know it don't look that pretty, but it was okay for a easy evening meal.  By easy I mean, your not in the kitchen watching this bubbling away as its baked in the oven.

This 'Baked Tomato Orzo' actually reminded me of the oven baked tomato rice I've made before. If you want, feel free to serve it with a green vegetable such as broccoli.
I am submitting this to I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights #229. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. However this week, PPN is being hosted by Ruth.

Baked Tomato Orzo
Serves 4
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
3 – 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of basil, minced or 1 teaspoon or dried
Salt and pepper to taste
200g orzo or similar pasta
Optional: fresh slices of tomato and Cheddar cheese for serving
Preheat oven to gas mark 5.
Heat the oil over medium heat, then add onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to brown. Stir frequently while cooking. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the orzo and cheese if using. Bring to a boil, then stir in orzo and remove from heat. Spoon into a casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring twice during cooking time. Stir before serving, Top with tomatoes ans sprinkle lightly with cheese if using. Adapted from The Vegetarian Gourmet Bobbie Hinman.


  1. Looks so yummy! But I'm on a diet (a healthy one). I don't eat pasta, cakes... Trying to lose weight, it's hard, though.

  2. This looks great. I'd love to try this. The weather seems to be turning and I'm in the mood for nice warm dishes.

  3. This looks delicious and I have to make it! Have to figure out the conversion on the recipe, though!

  4. WOW this looks absolutely delicious. I love love love orzo! So I wanted to let you know that you can make oat flour by grinding oats in a food processor or a blender until they are a fine powder, close to the texture of regular flour. I just used Quaker old fashioned rolled oats and they turned out great. I hope you get to make the blueberry bars soon. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am now following you!

  5. Thanks Lela.
    Your so good to be disicplined for a diet. I can't seem to follow one, ever. I need to exercise though. So when I move home, exercise will become a part of my life too. I can't right now, I know excuse, but I have too many life distractions - not good ones sadly.
    Good luck.

    Thanks Dan.
    Yeah I know what you mean about the weather and warming dishes, except its been rainy - wet - miserable here all summer.

    Thanks Fran.
    I hope to set up a weight conversion page in the near future. I know the one in the side bar is limited!

  6. This looks like a fabulous quick and easy weeknight dinner, thanks!

  7. I'm afraid I need to be on a diet too, a healthy one like Lela's, but I need to gain weight! Whenever people hug me they say it's like hugging a pole or a stick, hehe. So Shaheen, I need more recipes. To help me gain weight!:)

  8. Oh - I've never come across orzo before!
    This looks great - just my kind of thing.

  9. I love the look of that, and it seems so easy too ~ a great Autumnal dish.

  10. This looks great - I'm all for easy mid-week dinners. I like the look of orzo too. I've never actually tried it but it looks like risoni?

  11. Thanks for leaving a comment on my recent post about my 'neglected garden' - I feel much better about the back to nature approach since finding brambleberries along the front fence where some roses had gone wild!

    Glad I've found your site - so inspirational...

  12. Thanks for wishing me luck! :)

  13. Thank you so, so much MegSmith.
    I really appreciate your tip on making oat flour. I will certainly try now, shouldn't be that hard esp. as I live in Scotland where rolled oats are aplenty.

  14. Thank you Lucy.
    Its relatively quick!

    Hi Sumaiyyah.
    :( Oh that kind of diet. I woudl be happy to give you some of my excess weight :). Sorry to read that 'Whenever people hug you they say it's like hugging a pole or a stick':)
    That is just as bad as saying people are are on the big side.

    Thanks Hannah.
    I hope you find some Orzo.

  15. Thanks Karen ~ Autumnal it certainly is.

    Thanks Kari.
    I don't know about risoni, unless of course its the Italian name for orzo. It is a pasta just shaped like rice.

    Hello Caz.
    Thank you for repaying the compliment and coming by my blog too.

    Your so welcome Lela.

  16. I attest that this dish is delicious in soups and stews, a good combination, hugs.

  17. Love how easy this one is. After the first few minutes, just pop it in the oven and relax! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You