Saturday, 27 August 2011

Spicy Scrambled Eggs

When my husband is away, I like to indulge by eating this 'Spicy Scrambled Egg Curry' known as Mirchi Anda ka Salan.  I know its not the prettiest, but for me its can certainly be one of the tastiest and one of my guilty food pleasures!  If you want you can also call it 'Indian Scrambled Eggs', I appreciate I have used the descriptive 'spicy' a lot in my blog header recipes.
The reason I indulge in it when my husband is away is because for some reason he doesn't like it.  I find this awfully strange as he really likes his eggs: whether it fried eggs, boiled eggs, omelette's or just plain scrambled eggs.  But to make this even more confusing, I actually don't like traditional omelette's or scrambled eggs, but I do like eggs scrambled in this manner - spiced up.  Saying that, I do have to be in the mood for it though as its not exactly healthy, but it is relatively speedy.  I often wonder what it is about this that D doesn't like?  I think it might be the smell of turmeric that puts him off, its too 'curry powder' like and cooking aromas linger in the air for a day or two; or maybe its the way the spicy scrambled eggs looks like on the plate like scrambled brains.  I can understand that as there are times when I don't find it particularly appealing.
Anyway, its relatively quick to make, perhaps that the reason we had it most weekends as children either for breakfast; or as homely 'fast food' when there was little else in the house to eat. 

Its best enjoyed with a roti aka chapatti, but that would have been to time consuming for me, so I made do with some store bought pitta bread. There are lots of versions of this recipe, but this one is mine. And if you want to be an absolute slob about it, don't even serve it in a plate. I dare you to eat is straight from the frying pan.  If nothing else, there will be one less dish to wash.  I am linking this to the Penny Worthy Project because this dish is also good to make on a budget, therefore making it a thrifty brunch.
Spicy Scrambled Eggs
Serves 1 or 2 if you want to share
Ingredients
80g salted butter
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 - 2 green chillies, sliced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 - 2 eggs
1 generous tablespoon of coriander, roughly chopped
Method
Melt the butter in a wide frying pan, add the onions, green chillies and spices and cook until he onions have softened and turned a golden colour.  Keep stirring it to prevent from sticking.  When the onions are soft, break in the egg(s) and whisk in eggs, so evenly coated with the heavily spiced fried onions.  Stir in the coriander and serve immediately.

13 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, will have to try this out pronto! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I now know what I'm having for dinner tonight, thanks Shaheen! Hubby has taken the girls to the football so there is only myself to please, this sounds lovely. :)

    (Congratulations on your 1000th post too - what a milestone!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is appealing to me right now. Maybe I could call it brunch. I am thinking of just having it on toast. My mouth is actually watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always the saying... looks can be deceiving! I bet this dish is super delicious! Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous ~ one of my favourite recipes is Piperade, which is similar to this but with different spices in it...........looks wonderful.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fran.


    Thanks Bex.
    I do hope you like - feel free to use less or more of the spices.


    Hi Christine,
    I do like this dish and if you do get to make it I do hope you enjoy it. Please let me know I am a bit of a curious cat!

    Also thank you for the congrats on my 1000th post too - its most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so pleased to read this appeals to you
    Jacqueline. And it ab fab on plain white bread or toast. I've eaten it that way many a time too.


    Thanks Food Glorious Food!
    Good to hear from you and yes you are right 'looks can be deceiving', but you know what some fellow bloggers are like, sometimes its the photographs that attract, not the recipes.


    Thanks Karen.
    I don't think I've ever had piperade, so thanks for reminding me of it - I will have to refamiliarise myself with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love my eggs like this for any meal of the day! Your spices are many of my favorites and sound so much more appealing than the breakfast I had of crackers with cherry jam;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I love turmeric in my tofu scramble :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Patty.
    So good to hear from you. I must apologise, its been a while since I've visited too x
    Sometimes savoury for breakfast is good, sometimes, sweet - depends on your mood I guess :-)


    Thanks Carissa.
    This would certainly work well for tofu too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. simple and awesome. I love Indian food. This could be a go to for any night of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Wendy,
    Yes, it certainly can - but I've always had it for weekend brunch.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You