Thursday, 4 August 2011

It takes all sizes

The past few days have been blazing.  Of course one of those sunny days had to be spent in the garden.  Compared to previous years, I don't have very much growing in my garden plot this year.  Its mostly potatoes, but my oh my ...look at the size of these spuds!
We have enjoyed potatoes, simply boiled and smothered in either butter or oil, but in the photograph below some have been roasted with garlic and red onions and a sprig of rosemary sprigs for flavour. The potatoes are infused with rosemary flavour and the garlic and red onions become soft and caramel like.

I am sharing this post with Wendy at Greenish Thumb who is hosting Garden to Table this season.
Rosemary new potatoes roasted with onions and garlic
Serves 4
Ingredients
4 – 6 medium new potatoes, sliced in half
1 bulb of garlic
140ml olive oil
1 large red onion
Sprig of rosemary
Method
Do not peel the potatoes, but split them in half length ways. With a small, sharp knife, criss-cross the flesh with slashes without cutting the skin. Put the potatoes in the roasting tray along with the cloves of garlic and scatter them around them. Pour the olive oil over the potatoes and place in an oven preheated to gas mark 7. Trim the base of the onions, peel them if you wish, and slit them in quarter, keeping intact at the root. Add these to the potatoes after they have been cooking for 10 minutes and distribute the rosemary around them. Make sure the potatoes are face up and then baste all the ingredients with the sizzling oil and put back in the oven to cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Remove the sprig of rosemary and serve immediately. Adapted from No Place Like Home by Rowley Leigh.

18 comments:

  1. What a huge difference in sizes! Some of those potatoes are huge. I can hardly wait to plant our own potatoes this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum! I do something very similar with my dad's allotment produce, but I tend to use thyme, I shall give rosemary a go next time I can steal some potatoes from him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been away for July and come home to triffid sized potato plants!
    pink fir apples have been a treat but lady balfours, like yours ~ some massive some tiny:
    they'll make good bakers or wedges:
    those roasties look yum:
    I do similar but cut the top off a whole bulb of garlic about 1/4 way down and add it to the dish, then squeeze out the golden cloves:
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potatoes in our side of the world are pretty terrible, the Scot and I often complain about how starchy and flavorless they are. You are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be trying this recipe, spuds with garlic sounds yummy
    Thanks
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! They're mega potatoes! Put my little pink ones to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. potato from ur garden ...that itself would make any dish taste good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are HUGE! Nice sounding recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Barefeet In The Kitchen.
    I know we were rather surprised, esp with the huge ones Good luck with the planting of yours this autumn.


    Thanks Elise.
    I have thyme inthe garden, so may give that a go next time. My husband really liked the pots cooked this way, so I am sure he will insist on me making them again!


    Hi Chocolategirl.
    I'd love to see a picture of your triffid sized potato plants :0)

    I like your way with the garlic bulb. I think I may nick that idea for the next time i make this - sounds easier on the squeezing of garlic too ^_^


    Hello Chilean Woman.
    Yes, I am lucky this year with homegrown potaotes, but sad at the fact that i have grown very little else in the way of vegetables :(

    I am espcially Missing homegrown courgettes, beans and chillies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you like Jane.


    Thanks Sooz.
    Be proud of your little pink ones, at tleast they are home grown :)


    Thank you Chitra.


    Thanks Bridget.
    Its a simple recipe and one I'll be making again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I love all your recipes but potatoes ones have a special place in my heart. I can't wait for my own ones who are growing in the balcony.Thanks for share, you are so generous

    Love from Argentina
    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Veronica.
    I hope those you planted reward you well. I've grown potatoes in pots before, and the yield has been a little disappointing.
    Kind wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, those are HUGE potatoes. I need to harvest mine soon, but dug a few for dinner last night. Nowhere near that size though. I can just imagine the wonderful aroma when they're roasted with garlic and rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you tangled branches.
    The rosemary garlicky aroma is lovely waftign in the flat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. potatoes have proved to be very hit and miss this year. Taste wise though we've not been disappointed whatever the size. You can't beat the simplicity and joy of eating freshly picked allotment produce. Long may it last!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Nic,
    I'm beginnign to worry about those in my garden, I want to dig them up and store them. D says lets dig them as we need them - I know wht is gogint o happen with the remaining, the rain will get them and he is just not seeing this - silly man.

    Agree with the growing - long may it last.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gigantic taters! My garden was such a flop this year, but that's ok b/c I have some other big projects going on. Yesterday i dug to see if there were any blue potatoes. I found one date sized potato. I should have just eaten my seed stock instead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy,

    I'm sorry to read your gardenwas a flop, but if it makes you eel better I am confident it was much better than mine. Other than potatoes and a few herbs, I don't have much growing. so its not all bad eh :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You