Friday, 26 August 2011

Dreaming of Britanny

Around this time last year, I was on holiday in South Finistere in the Bretagne region of France

Early this year, we had planned to take a camping trip around France and Brittany.  We had even purchased a book of campsites around France, but sadly with things happening outwith my control, it has got pushed further and further into the background.
 So instead I am taking a trip down memory lane of our last holiday with the nephews.
I don't think I shared some of the foodie related treats I bought back with me, so here are some: tea towels; popular Mama Goudig moulds
 A tin of biscuits; some crêpe related gadgetsr and a recipe cookbook.
D was rather taken by Mam' Goudig, so here are a number of other novelty things such as toppers, an ingredient board, salad bowl and an enamel mug for hot apple cider.  As well as Black Buckwheat flour, cider and some tiny serving cider cups.
Edible purchases were violet jam, violet syrup, rose liqueur, mint syrup and sea salt. 
I have to be honest and tell you that I still have not opened the first three.  Naughty really.  I better check out the sell by date.


  1. I'm sorry you won't have your camping holiday. I've been pining for one myself. It looks as though it'll be a day and night at the beach with a quick visit to the aunties'-love your foodie items.

  2. A wonderful post ~ come and see me in the Charente Maritime next time!

  3. It's always fun to take a trip down memory lane. Very nice photos of your good times.

  4. Wow, that's quite a haul you came back with. I'm rather enviously wondering what the rose liqueur is like? One of the nice things about going away is that you can keep revisiting down memory lane.

  5. It looks like you had a lovely time last year. It's good to remember fun times. I have to admit that I sometimes buy exciting ingredients on holiday and then don't get round to using them. I remember those sirops from when I used to go on family holidays to France when I was younger. They're lovely!

  6. Hi
    My daughter did 2 school exchange trips to Brittany and loved it. I have a door stopper pebble with the ladies with the tall bonnets painted on it and an ornament of 2 Breton ladies, both presents from French students who came to stay with us.
    Would love to visit

  7. Thanks for the reminder - I wish I was there now but, sadly, circumstances..... I must confess that I'm not that keen on violet products, though. I was persuaded to try Crème de Violette but I don't think I'll do that again too quickly.

  8. Thank you so so much e for your lovely comment. Means a lot really. D and me have only ever had one real holiday together which was our belated honeymoon in Paris, all other holidays have been with part of a crowd; and its not the same as you can appreciate.
    I'm really sorry to read that your own holidays haven't materialised either. Lets hope next year is kinder.

    Thank you Lela.

    Thanks Karen.
    I will keep in mind Charente Maritime should I find myself in that direction ever again.

    Thanks Paz.

  9. Yes I did spoil myself Choclette - had Inot had the nephews with me in the car, I assure you we would have brought back home a lot more :)

    Yes, I do need to open up that rose liqueur. I am thinkign cupcakes - but I'm not reallya cupcake girl, more of a muffin freak, so I am still wondering about it.

    Hello C.
    Lovely to make your acquaintance and thank you so much for coming by my blog and for your lovely comment.

    Hi Jane,
    I do love th sound of your door stopper pebble - sound remarkable and a very thoughtful gift from your French lodging students.

    Hi Phil,
    Lovely to hear from you again.
    I'm sorry that circumstances have prevented you from travelling to Brittany again. I can just about your feelings towards violet products, too much can be ucky. So a little certainly does go a long way.

  10. I love Bretagne, my Grandparent's have a house there in a beautiful village called Evran, which I usually have a yearly visit to but I haven't done this year because of how busy I've been. I miss it so much, it's such a beautiful place and I hope to spend more time there next year!x

  11. Thanks Zoe,
    I hope next year you get to spend some time there.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You