Thursday, 18 August 2011

Almond and Plum Tart with Plum Syrup

Now I don't want to get over-confident and boast, but I think you are gonna love this sweet 'Almond and Plum Tart'.
Its very much like English Bakewell tart in that its has a soft almondine filling, but instead of finding a layer of raspberry jam, this tart is dressed with plum crescents.  The plums are both sweet and sharp. What elevates this tart further is the plum syrup - sticky and sweet.

I will definitely be making this again and hope that I am tempting you to make it too.
The plum syrup was especially delightful and I can imagine it spooned over vanilla ice-cream, or stirred through Greek yogurt; or even an indulgent topping for waffles.
Almond and Plum Tart
Serves 4 - 6
For the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
170g plain flour
a pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter
1 medium egg yolk
Cold water, to combine
Method for the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water and add to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough. Chill, wrapped for 30 minutes before using. Roll out to line a 13 x 4 inch loose bottomed flan tin.
For the Almond and Plum Filling
75g unsalted butter
175 g golden caster sugar
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
65g ground almonds
40g plain flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plums, pitted and sliced
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Beat the butter and half of the sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg and egg yolk.  Fold in the ground almonds and flour and vanilla extract.  Spread the mixture over the pastry base and scatter or neatly arrange 60g of the plums on top.  Bake in oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until lightly golden and firm to the touch. 
For the plum syrup
Put the remaining sugar in a saucepan with 3 tablespoon water and heat gently until dissolved.  Bring to the boil and poach the remaining plums in it for a couple of minutes.  Remove them with a slotted spoon onto a  plate.  Continue to boil the liquid until it reduces and becomes thick and syrupy, but don't let it caramelise.  Add the plums back to it and allow it to cool, before pouring it over the tart.  Serve warm.


  1. This looks great and I haven't baked with plums this year. Perhaps I should bake this at the weekend!

  2. It looks wonderful! I've bookmarked the recipe. I've never made anything made with plum before because they don't grow in Malaysia, I think, but there are imported ones sold in the supermarket which of course makes them a little expensive. I used to be scared of making pastry too, but I've got over that fear a little. I hope you win the book, this recipe deserves it! ;)

  3. This is fabulous. You elevated plums to a new level baking them with the dough.

  4. That looks absolutely delectable! I love plums and almonds as a combination and that is so elegant too.

  5. i love bakewell tart so may give this one a go, looks delicious, as usual !!

  6. mmmmmm, love almonds, love plums, love bakewell tart, gotta make this.

  7. I love bakewell tart, but I don't love the artifical, excessively cherried tartlets available in supermarkets. Sadly, that's about the only sort readily available in Australia, so I will definitely aim to make this!

  8. Your tart looks delicious! I'll have to bookmark the recipe. Plum season is right around the corner here!

  9. This looks lovely! I once went to the village of bakewell. A tiny village pretty much crammed full of tea shops all selling bakewell tarts and variations on it. Well worth a visit to see how many slices you can eat in a day ; )

  10. I love bakewell tart and plums. Definitely a great seasonal recipe!

  11. Guess what I made this afternoon before looking at your blog??

  12. Oh, boy, does this look lovely! Beautifully garnished and full of fruit...truly a winner!

  13. Ruth - go and get yourself some plums!

    Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    I hope you'll be able to treat yourself to this plum tart. And I am so pleased to read that you are beginning to overcome your fear of pastry making ;)

    Thanks Gloria.

    Thank you so much Bizzy B. Bakes.

  14. Thanks Karen.
    I'm so delighted to read that you like this combination.

    Thanks Miss Piggy Bank.
    i hope you'll get the chance to make this, its really good!

    Thanks Janice.
    If you do make it I so hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks Kari.
    I agree with you about the artifical aspect of the supermarket brands of bakewell tarts. let me assure you this has none of that as 100% home made from the dough to the filling.
    So I do hope you will get round to making this version!

  15. I am so pleased to read that you are bookmarking this recipe Holly.

    Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    If i should find myself passing this village, i will certainly pay a visit ; )

    Thanks Victoria :)

    Thank you Lauren.

    Hi Elise,
    You've got me curious now.

    Thanks Lizzy.

  16. are probably going to say I am weird but all I can think of right now is "how did they make the leaf in the capuccino?????".

    Hope you are having a lovely Summer!

  17. Hi Patricia,
    So lovely to hear from you.

    Yeah, I've seen a number of foodie shows where they have shown how its done, but I've never attempted it myself. Sure is a skill and pretty impressive too.

  18. Yay! More plum recipes. I will have to pick the last off my tree and make one of your recipes. Today I made a batch of spiced plum chutney which should be matured by the end of September, I love that I will be able to keep enjoying my plums in the winter months x

  19. Hi Zoe.
    :0) So pleased you like.
    Guess what i still have a jar of home made spiced plum chutney of my own. Your right that you'll be able to keep enjoying your own plums in the winter months.
    Happy eating.

  20. Absolutely delicious! i could just dive in right now. Thank you so much for entering it into Simple and in Season! Ren


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You