Monday, 15 August 2011

Another Plum and Almond Cake

Some recipes are worth making again and again. And when local plums arrive on the scene, this is one plum cake I look forward to making.  It's sweet and sharp from the plummy plums.  Its not a crumby cake, but soft and meltingly smooth from the ground almonds. 
In one year, I must have made this Plum and almond cake at least four times. So I knew it would not disappoint my mother-in-law.  Not only did she have one slice, she had two.  Well you could see the pleasing smile on my face.
In the past, I've made this dish in a round baking tin, this time it was a square one, but you decide what you like.  I am linking this British seasonal plum cake to Monday Mania hosted by the Healthy Home Economist and Melt in Your Mouth Mondays#26 hosted by Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms.

Plum and Almond Cake
Serves 8
6 - 8 plums
60g ground almonds
175g softened butter
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
175g self-raising flour
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Heat oven to gas 4. Butter the base of a 20-22cm cake tin. Halve and stone the plums, then cut them into quarters. Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, flour, ground almonds, lemon zest and juice. Stir well to combine. Spoon half of the cake mix into the prepared tin and smooth it over. Scatter half the plums over the cake mix, then spoon the remaining cake mix on top. Smooth over and scatter with the remaining fruit. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes until the cake is firm and golden brown. cool for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely before serving.


  1. This recipe would be perfect to use local plums in, Shaheen. I love a fruity cake. Yours looks delicious.

  2. That sounds nice but I'm not big on fruit. I love almonds though

  3. That looks wonderful Shaheen. I am drooling thinking of it with custard :)

  4. i just made my first plum cake today... do you think the plums alter the cooking time? It took much longer to cook than usual!

  5. Excellent use of plums. A slice of this would be perfect for breakfast.

  6. yummmy plum and almond cake....a gr8 combo

  7. Plums + almonds = a winner in my book. Isn't it funny how the shape of a tin makes things taste different?!

  8. I LOVE the combination of plums and almonds and I can see why that cake should be made over and over again! LOVELY!

  9. Saw this highlighted on someone's sidebar. As we picked two gallons of plums yesterday with lots more to come, I thought I should check this out! I may be baking this at naptime! Thanks for sharing.

  10. Just the recipe I need for the plums I just bought! Thank you.

  11. Thank you Barbara GF.
    Guess what still have a load - so more plummy goodness to come.

    Thanks Miss Piggy Bank.
    I think you would be able to make this cake without the fruit too, if you so wish.
    Hope your well.

  12. Thanks Jacqueline.
    I had intedned to serve it with custard, but too be quit frnk it was moist enough, so we had it just as it - simple :)

    Hi Kristy Lynn.
    My answer to your question is yes (about 10-15 minutes more depending on oven), plus they make the cake a lot more moister!

    Thanks briarrose.
    For breakfast - naughty!

    Thanks Chitra.

  13. Thank you KitchenMaid.
    Your right about the shape of the cake somewhat in your head changes the flavour, but also your approach to the cake too!

    Thanks Karen.
    I have a load of plums left over and am tempted to make another one...

    Thanks Kimberly.
    I do hope you get to make this and moreso, enjoy it.

    So lovely to hear from you Jane.
    I do hope you make it and enjoy it. Check out my other plum recipes too, you may change your mind.

  14. Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment! My husband and I are currently trying to grow some of our own food and I love local/seasonal produce. I can't wait to go through your archives!

  15. Thank you so much Lauren,
    Its so kind of you to repay the compliment by coming by and not only that - choosing to become a follower - Thank you so much, it is really appreciated.

  16. This looks great! I love the few ingredients - and the pictures are wonderful!

  17. I have had a massive glut of victoria plums. They are so yummy. My Mum has made jam, I'm going to make some chutney and I was saying to a friend that I bet a plum and almond cake would be nice. You must have read my mind! x

  18. They're beautiful! And so easy too!

  19. yes to plum and almonds - I agree this is a combination to enjoy again and again - makes me look forward to our plum season

  20. Hi Zo.
    When I had the allotment I was always being given loads of plums. I made jam and chutney, this year its another story so i am just making cakes for the moment. I hope you get to make this x

    Thanks Sumaiyyah.

    Hi Johanna.
    This cake didn't last long, so I'll def. be making another one today and guess what this one has almonds too.

  21. Ooh, this cake looks good! I can't wait until plums are in season to give it a go.

    I wanted to say thanks for your posts recently on waffles, too. I've just acquired a waffle maker and look forward to getting a little more adventurous with the recipes! :)

  22. Thanks Christine.
    Please do click on the waffle link below the last waffle post and you will find a host of other recipes that I have made. Happy Waffle eating - just don't fill it up too much.

  23. not really a fan of plums, but i happen to have some in my fridge now 8from the in-laws plum tree) and this cake does look mouthwatering...!

  24. Pia,
    This cake really is something special - please do try it if you can.

  25. We made this cake on Sunday! Wow, it's a good 'un. Posted about it here

    1. Oh thank you so much Lou. I will be on over and check it out.

  26. I made this again this week as had to take a cake in to work, but used apples instead as I ran out of plums ages ago. It still worked really well and was rather tasty! Someone asked me for the recipe so I sent them a link to this page :)

    1. Thanks Lou, i must try it with other fruit. So pleased that others have enjoyed your home made bakes.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You