Friday, 19 August 2011

Earthy Food

Early this week, we went into Edinburgh.  As we don't drive there that often I asked D if we could check out a place I had read about called Earthy Foods and Goods. I love the name of the place, plus I was curious.
Earthy Foods and Goods opened in 2008.  The glistening red from the berries, as well as the tomatoes and strawberries and verdant greens from vegetables such as peppers, and Romanesco Cauliflowers were all beautifully laid out and labelled.  I recognised a number of the Scottish suppliers, including Pillars of Hercules.  However, not all the fresh produce is from Scotland, some of it regional or sourced from overseas.  I was tempted to pick up a loaf of good rustic bread and some patty pan squash, but with D's mother being here we were not too sure if we'd get round to consuming it. 
I would personally describe Earthy Food and Goods as a grocers or farmer shop in the city. A little bit like Grassroots in Glasgow or Blairmairns Farm Shop and Coffee Bothy in Stirling.  Earthy Food also has a cafe.  Its very much in the style of Ottolenghi big bowls overflowing with colourful and inviting salads, pulses and grains - in fact I saw a copy of 'Plenty' floating about with rave reviews from Earthy Food staff.  I think if I lived in Edinburgh and was still earning a good wage, this may have been one of the places I would pick up some seasonal vegetables and make it a place for meets and eats. 
Right now, a cup of cappuccino with a pretty leaf pattern is just fine. If you want to see more, the BBC had an article a little while ago about some Scottish people not being aware of the seasonality of fruit and vegetables and it was partly filmed at Earthy Food Market.

9 comments:

  1. Seems like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great little place. That clip is a bit scary. Blackberries in season in February? Seriously?! Although, I guess I shouldn't be too hard on the poor woman, because I'm sure people here in Kansas are just as ignorant. We've become so used to everything being available all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the kind of place I love. Isn't that cup of coffee so cute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful little place....I love the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great shop. The coffee is amazing - I have no idea how such artistry is produced on a cup of coffee. Apparently healthy eating in Scotland is on the up now according to a R4 programme I heard this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. I haven't been there but used to frequent Grassroots in Glasgow in the late 70s and Real Foods in Edinburgh in the 80s (is it still there?). I have also been to the Pillars of Hercules with my sister. The coffee looks amazing, although I'm not a frothy coffee fan, it certainly is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lela, Lauren, Karen, Karen S Booth and Choclette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janice.
    Did you know the Grassroots Cafe in Glasgow closed down recently, but the store is still there. So is Real Foods in Edinburgh. I go there for some bit and pieces now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks and sounds lovely, i will be sure to stop by next time i'm in edinburgh (no current plans but i'm rellay wishing i'd get there soon, it's been far too long since last!).

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You