Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Spiced spaghetti with chickpeas

This spiced spaghetti with chickpeas is one of my store cupboard staples when fresh produce is low at home; or when I'm feeling a little lazy to cook.

I can't say that this will be one of the tastiest pasta dishes you will ever eat, but you will find it warming and it will fill that hole in your hungry belly.
I've posted this dish on my blog in my early blogging days (without a recipe).  Please click here and look at the photograph, my food presentation has certainly improved over the years.  
On a side note note related to food, nephew returned home last weekend.  We had also planned to travel down South again, but I had expressed to D that the travelling was beginning to wear me down and perhaps he should travel down on his own to see his mother.  Well his plans changed all together, when his mother decided she would join us in Scotland this time. D often jokes with his friends, 'we may not have children of cour own, but we sure have adopted a granny'.  D's mother arrives here at the weekend and plans to stay for the week.  We are both looking forward to it and planning of things to do, but it seems that the weather will not be on our side.  Lots of rain in the West of Scotland has been predicted.      

I am submitting this to I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights #226. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN is being hosted by Simona of Briciole.
Spiced spaghetti with chickpeas
Serves 2 (can easily be doubled)
60ml olive oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 -1½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 x 200g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Optional: Handful of fresh coriander, parsley or mint, minced
Cook enough spaghetti pasta enough for two people.  Then drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
Heat the oil in a wide pa and gently fry the onions and garlic until soft, then add in the spices and cook for a minute, before stirring in the tomatoes.  Cook over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick.  Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the chickpeas and cook for about 5 minutes.  Stir in the pasta and fresh herbs if using and serve immediately.


  1. This is brilliant - all this stuff I always have lying around but for some reason I'm always hesitant to add chickpeas to pasta. I knew I'd found my perfect flatmate when we started sharing our 'I would never serve this to other people but I like eating it' healthy food which this fits into! Thanks again,

  2. looks so saucy and yummy...

  3. i love pasta and chickpeas...normally like a soup but this looks much more appropriate for dinner! yum yum :)

  4. It looks good, and I'm sure it tastes likewise!

  5. Yum diddly easy and sounds tasty! Thanks :)

  6. This looks utterly delicious, what inspired pairing :-)

  7. I love the sound of this - and chickpeas are such a great way to get a bit of extra protein!

  8. It looks tasty, I wish I could like chickpeas. What would you suggest as a substitute?

  9. Every morning I come in to work and read through the blogs that I follow. You would not believe how many times you sort out what I am having for dinner that night and today is no exception. As always, thank you for this recipe xxx

  10. First off, I am so jealous you live in Scotland. I have always wanted to visit there!

    Secondly, you are an amazing cook. I couldn't even imagine working with pasta and chickpeas separately...nevermind together. This looks delicious!

  11. Thank you so much Claire.
    Its so lovely to make your acquaintance.
    Thanks for sharing your story of your 'perfect flatmate' made me smile. There are some foods that are guilty pleasures and best enjoyed alone; or with like mainded friends'

    Thanks DD.

    Thanks Chitra said.

    Thank you Victoria.
    i like these ingredients in a soup too, but sometimes as a pasta dish its good too.

  12. Thanks Sumaiyyah.

    Thanks foodhogger.

    Thank you for coming by A Trifle Rushed.

    Thanks Ruth.
    So true about the extra protein! I never think of the benefits - too greedy eating.

  13. Thanks Susan.
    Shame you don't like chickpeas, I love them. It hard to suggest a sub for chickpeas, but I think butterbeans would work.

    Thanks Fran.
    Such a lovely compliment. I am so chuffed :)

    Please, please don't be jealous of me living in
    Scotland. Most people read of its lovely side. but having lived here since 1996 I can tell you it does have a very ugly side too - i know I have witnessed (even experienced) a lot of them including a racism, sectarianism between catholics and protestants, stabbing and 'neddism'- gang culture, drunkenness and disorderly behaviour, but if you drive out of the city, the countryside is pretty. Hence the reason you will see some pretty blog posts here.

    Secondly, Thank you so much for your lovely compliment. Today I need to hear this as I am feeling a bit low. So Thank you for giving me the natural high!

  14. I love spicy tomato pastas as a storecupboard staple. I have my own version that I make at least once every couple of weeks. I've never tried adding chick peas to pasta though but I'm sure it's lovely and filling.

  15. Thanks Corina.
    Its def. filling.

  16. We all have days in which we don't feel like cooking and on those days, having supplies in the cupboard like tinned legumes and tomatoes is the best thing: they let us prepare something good and nutritious. Thank you for sending this to Presto Pasta Nights. I hope the weather gets better soon.

  17. Thank you Simona.
    and for hosting this weeks PPN.

  18. What a wonderful, easy, week-night kind of dish. Thank you for sharing it with us. :-)

  19. That was fun to see the old photo and compare!

  20. Thank you Julie Lynn aka Fayinagirl.

    Thansk Wendy.
    I agree. It did make me chuckle and cringe a little.

  21. My husband makes dishes like this a lot... tomato sauce with chickpeas. It is fantastic!

  22. Great minds think alike - Heather, esp when they are hungry :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You