Friday, 26 August 2011

Black Pepper Oatcakes

Its Friday night and tonight's light nibbles are 'black pepper oatcakes', (not all of them of course!).
It's virtually the same recipe for the wild garlic oatcakes, but in place of the wild garlic I've got freshly ground black pepper to pack a sobering punch.

I have to admit I was in bit of a daze and my first attempt at making these 'Black Pepper Oatcakes' totally bombed.  Not only did they not firm up, they didn't want  to stick.  So I had to chuck the whole mix in the bin and start again, before trying for a second time it dawned on me that I was using the wrong oatmeal.  I was using pinhead oats.  These were swelling and retained some bite that would make those of us with fillings a little nervous.  They would have been perfect for Scottish cranachan, but not so good for my homely oatcakes.  As soon as I noted my error, I replaced the pinhead oats with medium oatmeal and they worked like a well oiled sewing machine.  If you had been in the kitchen, you would have heard my sigh of relief.

Well I am off to enjoy some of these oatmeal bites with some cheese.  I bid you all: old and new readers, and those just passing by a good Friday night.
Black Pepper Oatcakes
Makes about 12
Ingredients
2 tablespoon butter
140ml boiling water
225g medium oatmeal, plus extra for rolling
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Generous grinding of freshly ground black pepper or to taste
Method
Preheat oven to Gas mark 5.
In a measuring jug, add the butter, minced wild garlic and boiling water. Allow the butter to melt into the hot water.
Whilst the butter is melting, put the oatmeal, baking powder, salt and black pepper into a bowl, mix together and make a well in the centre. Pour the warm liquid into the well and mix together with a knife. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes for the water to thicken the oatmeal.
Then divide the mixture into two and lightly knead each piece on a board sprinkled with oatmeal. Roll out each and cut into 5 – 6 pieces. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp and lightly golden. Best eaten within a day or two.

12 comments:

  1. They sound and look great. Are rolled oats (the small ones that don't take long to cook) the same as medium oatmeal? I don't think I've seen pinhead oats in the shops here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so love oatcakes and especially homemade ones. I learned to make some rather gorgeous oatcakes on the breadmaking course I was on, but haven't gotten around to making them again since. I am thinking I would love them with black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a recipe that I have been looking for for ages, as I buy black pepper oatcakes but have always wanted to make them, so THANKS!
    Saved to make soon.............
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bridget.
    The rolled oats I used for this recipe are medium rolled oatmeal - thie quick cooking kind. Smaller than the type your would use for flapjacks which we know in the U.K as jumbo oats. I'll post a picture of pinhead oats in the future. You can't alway find them in England either, but as I am living in Scotland - much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jacqueline.
    Oh yu must make some. I'd love to see yur version with black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karen.
    Your comment made me smile. There are lots of other good recipes about for oatcakes, so I'd encourage you to check them out and no worries if you change your mind about making that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great, I love black pepper. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great. I've never made my own oatcakes, but I'd like to try, and I love black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great. I do love an oatcake and I am sure I have had black pepper ones before - a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Louise,
    Yes they do make a nice change from the plain versions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe! Made these a few times, once with rosemary instead of black pepper, and this evening i made them with toasted sesame seeds, which lended a rich nutty flavour and extra crunch. Great blog, thanks for sharing your smashing recipes!

    Gillian, Glasgow

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You