Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Sicilian Vegetable Stew

I made this 'Sicilian Vegetable Stew' also known as Caponata Siciliana at the weekend with courgettes I had picked up at the farmers market. 

What was different about this stew was the inclusion of capers and sultanas together. I wasn't too sure about the combination, but was curious to try.  Although I ate every bit of this colourful, sweet and sour stew, I wasn't completely convinced about the piquancy of the capers next to the sweet, juicy sultanas.  It just tasted a little odd to me, but that's me, you may find yourself liking this combination.
I'd be more than happy to make this vegetable stew again, I would just omit the capers. 

You know this stew is also excellent cold as an antipasta served with good crusty bread.  Oh in case you are wondering, the chickpeas are my addition. 
I had originally accompanied this stew with a sweet pilau style dish made with brown rice. I have to say that it was a bit of a miss, so I am not posting that recipe here as it was a little disappointing. If I was to make this Vegetable Stew again, I would serve it with couscous and would recommend that you do the same.
Sicilian Vegetable Stew
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 large courgette, thickly sliced
1 aubergine, cut into large chunks
1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
1 yellow pepper, cut into large chunks
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes, chopped
50g sultanas
1 tablespoon capers
200g cooked chickpeas
1 tablespoons black olives, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat the oven to its highest temperature.
In a bowl toss the courgette, aubergine and peppers with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and some salt and pepper.  Spread the vegetables onto a baking tin and bake for 20 minutes or until browned and softened.  Turn over now and again, so all sides are roughly browned. 
In a heavy based pan big enough to hold everything, fry the onions, chilli and garlic in the rest of the olive oil for a few minutes.  Add the tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens.  Pour in about 250g water, then stir in the roasted vegetables, capers, sultanas, chickpeas and optional black olives.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Season and serve.  Adapted from Leon by Allegra McEvedy

10 comments:

  1. Such a hearty stew,healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your plates!!!! and surely your receipt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. im always looking for new ways to make stew. this vegetarian version sounds delightful! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaheen, Still really enjoying your blog even though I don't always comment. I was writing my 'M is for ... post earlier this evening and included a link to your courgette potato cakes. How funny that you've now posted a recipe that includes courgettes. Hey ho, hope you like it.
    http://nipitinthebud.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/m-is-for/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely... and chick peas are one of my favorites too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fab ...new for me and very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a winner! (without sultanas for me)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see what you mean about capers--they can be really overpowering! I really love couscous and sultanas, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you simply.food.


    Thanks Al Cuoco.
    I've had the plates a little while.


    Hello there blackbookkitchendiaries.
    Long time no hear - hope your well.


    Hi Nic.
    Same with me, I do come by and read your blog. I have been enjoying your alphabet posts recently, but am not leaving as many comments as before. Thanks for the link to the courgette potato cakes. Yeah, this recipe is not so bad either. Hope your well otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Lrong.


    Thanks Priti.


    Thanks Mal.
    Yeah I could live without the sultanas too.


    Hi Lauren,
    I think couscous and sultanas go together too.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You