Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Gratin of Cabbage with Puy Lentils

This 'Gratin of Cabbage with Puy Lentils' signals for me the start of Autumn.  Not just because of the golden colours, but also because its hearty and warming .
Gratin of Cabbage with Puy Lentils
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
Small cabbage, shredded
150g Puy lentils
For the tomato sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon coriander, freshly ground
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
Small cabbage, shredded
150g Puy lentils
A slice of stale white or brown bread, processed to breadcrumbs
Optional: 30 – 40g cheddar cheese, grated
Method
To make the tomato sauce, fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the coriander and thyme, and cook for a couple of minutes, Now stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and season with salt and pepper to taste. Leave to simmer down to a thick sauce, stirring occasionally – about 20 minutes.
Blanch the cabbage in boiling salted water for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
Cook the lentils in boiling water for about 30 minutes or until tender, then drain.
Mix the cabbage and lentils with the tomato sauce, and spoon into a shallow ovenproof gratin dish.
Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese if using, and scatter the mixture in an even layer. Bake for about 20 – 30 minutes until lightly golden. Serve hot. Adapted from Sophie Grigson’s Country kitchen

12 comments:

  1. yum, that looks delicious, could be good spring food here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And once again you step in with the recipe for tonight's tea - thank you.

    I have just defrosted a lovely tub of homemade vegetable soup and was wondering what to serve after it that would be similarly warming and healthy too.

    This recipe is perfect (and I have lots of cabbages that need using up too).

    Thanks

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and just my kind of recipe as I love Puy lentils and also cabbage......although I am not a vegetarian, we eat vegetarian at least 2 to 3 days a week and this would be great for us.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kirsty.
    yeah I can see it as a Spring dish too.


    Thank you Sue.
    I hope you like.
    I envy your homegrown cabbages. What variety are they?


    Thank you Karen.
    Puy lentils are certainly the king of lentils!
    Good to read that you enjoy eating your vegetables :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for you coment!
    Mi piaciono tanto i vegetali e vedo che tu ne sai parecchio al riguardo!

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Love this as this feels a lot more healthy than most gratins Ive seen so far. Bookmarking this recipe and guess what I will be making one of these days? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mai.


    Thank you Curious Cook.
    It sure did taste healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Shaheen, thanks for visiting me! I like your blog and now i am one of your followers.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, this reminds me I still have more cabbage to use up! This looks great. I always have plenty of lentils on hand too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so, so much Alexandrina.
    Its wonderful to make your acquaintane.
    Have a nice weekend!


    Hi foodfeud,
    I know it don't look much, but this sure is a hearty meal with different textures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet there were some strong winds in Scotland the day you made that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark,
    the weasther here isn't always favourable, so strong winds or not, it was certainly nippy :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You