Saturday, 13 August 2011

Paprika Cauliflower Bake

I made this 'Paprika and Cauliflower Bake' a little while ago, around the same time when I made the  'Tomato and Rosemary Risotto'. I've just had not got round to posting it, so here it is with me playing catch up. 

I'm not really a big fan of cauliflower cheese (or macaroni cheese). I find it can sometimes be quite gloopy, but D doesn't mind the creamy cheesiness.  I had thought to myself, if I was going to enjoy this dish, I would add a touch of paprika and crisp up the topping to it to bring it much closer to my taste buds.  The tomatoes were an afterthought only because they were beginning to soften.
Serve with peas; or broccoli, that is if your happy with another brassica on your plate.
Paprika Cauliflower Bake
Serves 4 as an accompaniment
1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
2 large potatoes, cubed
100g cherry tomatoes
Paprika Sauce
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tablespoons plain flour
½ pint milk
100g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
½ - 1 teaspoon paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, plus extra for garnishing optional
In separate pots, cook the cauliflower and potatoes in boiling water until just tender. Drain well and set aside.
For the paprika sauce
To make the sauce
Heat the oil in a pan and then sauté the shallots and garlic until soft. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and gradually stir in the milk, half of the cheese, the paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a vigorous boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper .
Transfer the cooled cauliflower and potatoes to a deep ovenproof dish. Add the cherry tomatoes. Pour the sauce over and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and extra sprinkling of paprika.
Cook in a preheated oven Gas mark 4 for 30 – 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Garnish and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You