Thursday, 28 July 2011

Plum Tomato and Rosemary Risotto

I used to make this herb-scented cherry tomato risotto quite a lot.  First, it was such as easy dish, pretty much hands-free and secondly, unlike traditional risotto dishes that require your full attention and time slowly stirring the rice and ladling in the stock, with this one you simply add all the ingredients to a large roasting dish and bake it in the oven.

The reasons I haven't made it recently is the lack of homegrown tomatoes, a couple of years ago tomatoes were falling at our feet - literally.  The other reason, I have plenty of time on my hands to make more of an effort with out meals, so quick supper recipes have been put on the back burner for now.  However, I had a request from my nephew if I could make some risotto and with us entertaining him of sorts, I was happy to make this hands-free tomato risotto.  Another part of this recipe that I really like is the garlic, it is baked in the oven in its skin.  The garlic cloves become soft, sweet and almost caramel like - all you have to do is squeeze it from its skin. Also if your not that keen on rosemary, you can replace it with either fennel herb or thyme.
I normally make this risotto with cherry tomatoes, but today decided on using baby plum tomatoes and now having tried them, I have to say my preference is definitely for the cherry variety.  The plum tomato skins failed to burst upon cooking in the rice and when you came to cut into one with your knife, the hot tomatoey juices burst out - a real worry if you were feeding small ones. In spite of this, it was still good to eat - especially as I didn't have to do any ladling and stirring. 

I am sharing this post with Simple Lives Thursday#54 hosted by gnowfglins; and Full Plate Thurasday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage; and finally Girlichef who is hosting Friday Potluck.
Oven-baked Plum Tomato and Rosemary Risotto
Serves 4 (or 3 greedy people)
250g baby plum or cherry tomatoes
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 - 6 garlic cloves, with skin
300g risotto rice such as Arborio or Carnaroli
800ml vegetable stock
2 sprigs of rosemary or substitute with thyme or fennel herb
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Place the cherry tomatoes and garlic in a large baking dish, scatter over the red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 10 minutes. Add the rice, stock, herb and seasoning and return to the oven for 30 - 35 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has almost been absorbed. Whatever you do, do not be tempted to stir the rice at any point.  Serve at the table immediately.


  1. How do you come up with this stuff? ;) Your photos always look super appetizing!!

  2. Hello Shaheen
    Have been following/found your blog this year LOVE it,Just a quickie, did you know you have a mention in Septembers Vegetarian Living mag? it's on page 9, at the bottom,titled"our favourite foodie blogs"Hope you don't mind me letting you know
    Best Wishes
    Sue xxx

  3. I love quick simple dinners like this! Next time I'm at my parents and I get some real tomatoes I'll rememebr this. Thank you :)

  4. Thank you so, so much DD.

    Thanks Jess.
    I'm a greedy girl :)
    I have to thank my husband for most of the photographs and making the dishes look extra appealing for the blog. I'll pass on your compliments to him. Thank you.

  5. Thank you Sue.
    Your comment is most appreciated.
    Re the September issue of the mag. Yes I am aware that my blog was going to be mentioned as I wrote to the mag a couple of months ago, about focusing more on blogs (and other things)so this is their token attempt. I saw on the website that they have an article on Commonwealth Orchard in Glasgow. I wonder if they got the idea from my blog, as I mentioned John Hancox a while ago. See here.
    I'll have to check it out. It would be good to get your viewpoint too. Best Wishes x

    Thank you so much nothanksimavegan.
    Its a good recipe for sure.

  6. Hi Shaheen,
    What a great combination for Risotto. I just love the flavor of fresh tomato and rosemary melted into a lovely Risotto. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

  7. Thanks Miz Helen.
    I hope to participate again in the near future.

  8. sounds delish = straight on to my to-try-list:)

  9. Thanks Pia K.
    Do use cherry tomatoes, they will burst and work better than the plum.

  10. I've heard of risotto, but aside from knowing that it's a dish made with rice I don't know much about it. I guess it's baked rice?

  11. Sumaiyyah,
    Its like a cross between a savoury pilaur rice but much creamier like rice pudding. It took me a while to appreicate it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You