Thursday, 21 July 2011

Carrot, Puy Lentil and Parsley Flan

This is not a super healthy green salad, but I think it may be the healthiest of flans I've ever made, if not it sure looks the part.

The carrots almost look like orange ribbons and the puy lentils like bronze sequins enhanced by the flecks of green from the parsley.  The carrots were soft and sweet and the lentils gave it that bite and nutty flavour. All in all it was a very light flan to eat.   Serve this flan simply with some new potatoes.  The recipe still needs a bit of tweaking, so you may have some of the carrot-lentil filling left over.  Don't ditch it, its good cold as a sandwich filler or stirred into sliced cabbage to make a slaw of sorts.
I am submitting a slice of this light flan recipe to My Legume Love Affair # 37. MLLA was founded by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook who is also hosting Julys edition of MLLA; as well as to Priya and Kaarasaaram who is hosting this months Veggie/Fruit of the month which is the humble 'carrot'
Updated 26/07/2011: This recipe was made by Sue at Our New Life in the Country, please do go by and visit her blog.
Carrot, Puy Lentils and Parsley Flan
Serves 6 - 8 as an accompaniment
Ingredients for the shortcrust pastry to line a 8 - 9 inch round tin
225g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
125g butter
3 tablespoons water
Add flour and salt to a bowl. Add the butter then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, lifting the mixture out of the bowl to incorporate as much air as possible as this will make the pastry light. Continue until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, then add the water a little at a time and use your fingertips to press the mixture together and form a dough. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead rolling out the dough, into whatever shape you want – a round, oval or rectangle. Blind bake in a hot oven at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
Ingredients for the filling
160g puy lentils (or brown lentils)
350g carrots, grated
small handful of parsley leaves, minced
3 eggs
150ml milk
1 generous tablespoon of grain mustard or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the filling
Boil the puy lentils in water until tender, then drain.  Stir in the carrots and parsley.
Spread evenly over the pastry.
In a small bowl whisk the eggs, milk and mustard.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Then evenly pour over the carrot-lentil mixture.
Bake in oven at gas mark for 5 for 30 - 35 minutes.
This is good at room temperature or cold.


  1. Looks really delicious and tasty.

  2. Looks good Shaheen - but showing my ignorance here. What are puy lentils? Are they different from the greeny/brown ones that I normally buy? cheers Wendy

  3. gorgeous pics + delicious sounding recipe, as always :)

  4. Once again, your inventive use of pastry humbles me. I was just marvelling at my major stockpile of carrots and wondering what to do with them. Someone suggested pickles, but I quite like this. I can see the sweet carrots going really well with the creamy egg and earthy lentils. And puy lentils with mustard, well, can't beat it!

  5. This looks absolutely gorgeous and sorts out what we are having for dinner tonight. Thank you x

  6. 'The carrots almost look like orange ribbons and the puy lentils like bronze sequins enhanced by the flecks of green from the parsley'

    How poetic is that!!'ve sold it to me, I have all the ingredients just waiting to be pulled from the ground or the storecupboard, if I do it now I can have a slice for lunch....and one for tea!!

    Sue xx

  7. Thanks

    Thank you Wendy aka Duchess_declutter.
    No your not showing your ignorance at all :0) Tehre are so many beans, pulses and lentils around that it is not always easy to know them all. Puy lentils are from France and they are v. similar to brown lentils, the two differences are they are slighly smaller, but the main one which gives them a kingly reputation is that they tend to hold their shape and not disintegrate like other lentils on cooking. I've seen puy lentils stocked at supermarkets and at some health stores, but brown lentils would be an excellent sub too.

    Thanks Jess :)

  8. Thanks Monica.
    Oh you do flatter me. I tend to stick with pastry recipes that I've tried and tested and know that work for me. i've used this pastry recipes loads of time.
    If the carrots had been my own and homegrown, I certainly would have pickled them,but sadly these are not. The creamy egg doesn't realy come through that much which is surprising really. It just helps bind the ingredients.

    Thank you Fran.
    Just make sure you use good carrots, it make all the difference in flavour. I do hope you like x

    Thanks Sue.
    Well I have to try and sell it to you all somehow - I know carrots and lentils doesn't often enthuse :0) And I'm gad its done its trick.

    So did you make it and how did your find it? I Would love to see your variation.

  9. This is something new to me... I wonder how it tastes like...

  10. wow that looks crazy good! The idea of lentils looks so delicious in there.

  11. Lrong.
    Its light and sweet from the carrots.

    Thanks Sonia.

  12. First I read the title, then my jaw dropped. Fascinating recipe, truly unique.

    Thanks so much, Shaheen, for another great contribution to MLLA!

  13. Susan,
    Your very kind. Thank you so much for a warm and encouraging comment - it really is most appreciated.

  14. Awesome recipe.... The combo of ingredients is just superb... lovely:) Thanks for sending it for the event, dear...


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You