Sunday, 24 July 2011

Orzo with Broccoli and Olives

Amazing stuff, not a cloud in the skies - today it really does feel like Summer in Scotland.
Some people throw away the broccoli stalk, but I really like the lime coloured stalks.  I prefer them much more than the broccoli  bushy green head, so always include them in my cooking for extra crunch.  Although I used green olives in this orzo pasta salad, I think black olives would work well too.  This makes for a colourful and light lunch - perfect to eat out in the garden, under the perfect blue skies.

I am submitting this to I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights #224. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN is being hosted by Anu of Truly Personified.
Serves 4
6 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 - 3 shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large head of broccoli
160ml vegetable stock
250g orzo
1 large tomato, chopped
20 olives, green or black, pitted and sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Separate the florets from the broccoli and chop into bite size. Remove the hard skin from the stalks and then chop down into bite size pieces.
In a wide pan, heat 2 tablespoons the oil over medium heat and add the shallots and garlic.  Then add in all of the broccoli.  Cook the mixture for a couple of minutes, before adding in the vegetable stock.  Let the vegetables simmer until the broccoli softens slightly and most of the water has evaporated.  Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.  Add the orzo, and boil the pasta stirring occasionally, until it is just tender.  Drain it, and keep it warm.
Add the tomatoes, olives, thyme and the remaining olive oil to the bowl of the broccoli.  Add the orzo and combine well.  Stir in the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste and extra drizzling of oil if necessary.  Spoon the mixture onto plate and serve.  Adapted from Vegan Planet.


  1. It has been beautiful, hasn't it? And do you know why? Because my weeks holiday is over and I am going back to work tomorrow :(

    This would cheer me up however :)

  2. I love the broccoli stalk - it has the same flavour as the flowers, but the texture is nicer.

  3. Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous!
    Thanks for the recipy!:-))

  4. This is my kind of pasta. It looks absolutely delicious. Simple, light and lovely too!

  5. That looks super delicious. It surely deserves to be entered into PPN!!

  6. Delicious! My two-year-old loves pasta, broccoli and - bizarrely - olives (I ate a LOT of them when pregnant) so this will definitely be going on our family dinners list. Thanks!

  7. Hi Jacqueline.
    Certainly has been the last couple of days, shame your holidays are over :(

    Thanks Mark.
    I agree the broccoli stalk texture is nicer.

    Thank you Moni:-)

  8. Thank you so, so much Barefeet In The Kitchen.

    Thank you Jess.

    Thanks KitchenMaid.
    Its so interesting to read that your two-year-old loves olives, certainly must have a lot to do with you when your ate them whilst pregnant, as there are not many little ones I know that would even touch them.

  9. This sounds great and super simple. My bf loves orzo and I'm always looking for different ways to serve it up. I love broccoli stalks too - he doesn't but I'll take an extra helping of those :)
    Glad for you that the weather has cleared up.

  10. Thanks Foodfeud.
    Guess what the sun is still shining here - got some laundry done!

  11. What a beautiful blog! and thankyou so much for the PPN entry Shaheen :)

  12. Anu,
    Its very kind of you - Thank you.

  13. Hello Anu,
    First time to your space, I'm loving it. No doubt i'm following your blog.
    I will be very Delighited to find you in my followers list.
    Good Food Recipes
    Food Blog News

  14. Thanks DD.
    Anu is hosting PPN.

  15. Hello Shaheen,

    This gorgeous dish is one I'm keeping. I hope you're well.

  16. Thanks e.
    Much appreciated.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You